View Single Post
Old 12-02-2008, 02:02 PM   #23
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyd6

After considering all these factors, we have decided to go with the XR5. One is coming through our dealer in a couple of weeks which will give us a chance to go for a spin in the open road. I could write a fairly long story as to why the 5 but in the end good looks, extra gadgets and the "why not" factor tipped us in this direction. I hope others in my situation can benefit from everyones opinion. In the end, the Mondeo's are beautiful cars to drive, and it's hard for any minor flaws to overshadow the impressive driving nature of these cars. Will let you all know how the car goes when we get it!

BTW, I have heard that Ford have changed the Mondeo supply split for the Australian market. The TDCi and XR5 seem to be selling quite well (especially the TDCi) while the 2.3L sales (both LX and ZETEC) are quite low. Another factor in the popularity and performance of these higher costing cars.
This is not surprising. Wheels said that the split was:
".....about half is ascribed to the Zetec model; the base LX and the TDCi turbo-diesel iterations anticipate 20 percent each, while 10 percent or so is left to the XR5."

I questioned this number with the guy from ford at the preview test drive and he confirmed it. I think Ford based this on what the market was doing in terms of mazda 6 and euro buyers - where petrol sales obviously dominate due to the lack of diesel availability for honda and low take up by mazda buyers.

In my opinion this is the third or so time i have seen ford bring in the wrong product mix at the start of a model. They had far too many escape base 4s when the update launched too, and while it aint a very good seller, being one of few cars in the segment with a V6 (and decent off road capabilities) they should of had more sixes around. There are several 2.3 zetec mondeos at dealerships but not many diesels - they are all sold!

I know supply is an issue with the XR5 but part of the reason i think ford hasn't hit their (optimistic) 500 per month target has been not enough diesels in the early shipments. With advertising now more common with the best cars award for the diesel part of it they should be able to crack 400 a month with the right supply. Besides, a quick drive of a 2.3 zetec versus TDCI has probably convinced people to go for the latter. No offence to any current or future zetec owners, but if you can find the money, the TDCi is the way to go IMO.
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote