View Single Post
Old 18-04-2009, 02:51 PM   #41
PALE ALE

Agree with what you have said home grown,but sometimes I feel that drrag racers are their own worst enemy at times. On one hand they jump up and down when Hoons Illegal street race, and is branded as drag racing by the media, and try to tell the media not to brand Illegal street racing as drag racing
Yet on the other hand, they have been vocal and saying build a drag strip to get the hoons off the streets
To me, this compounds the bad image drag racing has in the eyes of "Joe public". It reinforces the publics perception that drag racers are hoons. Some comments I have heard on 5AA talk back radio by "Joe public" are that building a drag strip will only encourage hoon drivers, one bloke was even worried that drag racers will be "practacing" up and down his street.
There is noway any government will back a drag strip in Adelaide with the current mood amongst "joe public" with hoon drivers. I also think that for drag racing to be viewed as a legitamate motor sport by "joe public", that it has to distance itself from hoon driving/ street racing as much as possible
The best thing that drag racers/people that want a drag strip built could do now, is keep quite and let this whole hoon driving thing blow over and forgotten about by "joe public" and never mention hoon driving and drag racing together again
PALE ALE is offline   Reply With Quote