View Single Post
Old 27-03-2011, 12:33 AM   #20
imaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: HOW TO - Installing an aftermarket headunit in a '05-07 Focus‏

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Russ#Es#
A few good looking options there.

Unfortunately my laptop is dead atm so could only check to links from my phone, but a few things to keep in mind:
1. Product support for these units
2. USB 2.0 vs 1.0
3. Compatibility of radio (and TV tuner and satnav if applicable) in Oz, frequencies + digital radio, etc.
4. Ease of fitting - there are plenty of units from China that are made to fit a Focus, not just fitting directly in the dash but also plugs straight into your existing plugs. Not sure which of these units are a direct plug and plug. A plug and play should only have 1 or 2 plugs, not a bunch of RCA plugs.

The Pioneer unit may not be as pretty or have the same features as the other brands but I'm pretty sure you can buy this same unit in Oz, so if you can get it cheaper in Malaysia I would go that option.
So I spent 8hrs today viewing most of these units and most fit my needs. But the TV tuners were analog. I could get the same or slightly cheaper directly from the manufacturer which is chinavision.com with the faster processor and digital DVB-T tuners for AU$250.

With the headaches of getting the stearing column remotes working, I'm leading towards ipmart, last link which is a direct fitment to the LS focus and looks like the stock radio with screen and TV tuner(analog), but includes GPS.

All these built in GPS can run any software, ie TOMTOM, Garmin, Igo etc, with a simple workaround, as they all run WinCE.

I tested most of these units, importantly the startup times from cold, and they were all impressive, like 30odd seconds.

I am getting greddy now, and thinking of doing the same with my other car, XR6, using an overhead LCD monitor and a single din inbuilt DVD player.

I was looking at headrest with monitors today(a pair, leather, black) complete with monitor's were RM300 = $100. Couldnt go wrong! these are complete with headrest which are suitable replacements, with adjustable poles.

Argghhhh. Only got till tomorrow to do last minute shoping, but I'm I've decided to get them online from chinavision and ipmart with DHL shippping....

Imaz

2009 FG Falcon XR6 Sedan, Octane.
2012 WK2 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, Mineral Grey.
imaz is offline   Reply With Quote