Thread: New to cycling
View Single Post
Old 23-01-2012, 12:24 PM   #393
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 
Default Re: New to cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippytaka
I've just been riding to work (Marrickville to Crows nest - 12km) and back twice a week,. I burn 3400 calories getting there and back - it's quite hilly and take about 50min.

I'm on a Scott 29er hard tail mountain bike and have put slicks on for the commute to work. It's great. Set me back about $1100 - tyres and all other extras needed.

My advice would be to stay away from a road bike or race bike - they are too fast and you just don't get the workout you would on a hybrid or a mountain bike.

BUT DON'T GO CHEAPO on the bike. Get one with good running gear, especially if you're heavy like me. Lifestime warranty of frame and a good set of gears - the clean shifts up hills makes al the difference!

Mountain bikes are much more fun too - whack on some knobbies and head out on a trail ride on weekends with mates
That's a fair call Trippy. I see where you are heading with this post.

I like the workout I get with my hybrid. I have skinny wheels on it with semi slick tires. The wheels aren't as thick as race wheels, but they are still skinny compared to a MTB.

My bike weighs in at least 14kg with all the extra gear like lights, saddle pouch, pump, and water bottles. It's a heavy bike compared to a race bike and its geared to handle hills a bit easier.

The reason I want a race bike is for when Im with the local riding club. A lot of them, if not all of them have race bikes and it can be a bit annoying for me knowing they have to either slow the pace or have someone at the back making sure I don't get left behind. Plus I like the speed and ease race bikes have for riding in general.

The hybrid I have has Deore components. Quick shifters, disc brakes and is a good sturdy ride with life time warranty on the frame. It's not the best but its the best I could afford at the time, not knowing if I was to continue with cycling in general. I tend to clock up about 50km a week riding in a mix of hills and flats where I live. So I feel as if I am getting all my workouts with this bike.

When I do get my racer bike, I will still keep the hybrid due to still being able to ride with my friends who also have hybrids and MTB. But also to keep fit with as well. Plus I want to do bigger rides than just 50km here and there. I have a plan to do the 65km of Amy's ride, and I want to do one of the BUPA legs in next years TDU.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont