View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 04:38 PM   #9
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: buckled another rim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner77 View Post
Good points, Mik.

Frankly, I don't know. Damage to rims can happen on most cars with skinny tires. Somewhere on this site there was a report a long time ago of a badly buckled rim on a 911, a mid-engined vehicle you would expect to have decent wheels, but of course with a low profile tyre.

Am I correct in thinking that the default tires on the WT have a 55 profile rather than the 45 on the WS?

Someone has argued to me that rim damage is less likely with ultra high performance tyres, on the grounds that they have more and better belts, and don't deform as much as ordinary tyres. Again, I don't know. It's an interesting thought.
i guess a stronger tyre might help, i wouldn't like to bet my house on it though , and if the tyre doesn't deform....... my guess is when that decent pot hole comes along the rim will.
once upon a time low profile tyres were pretty rare on passenger cars, back in those days the tyre side wall was part of the suspension to absorb some of the shock loads and give a better ride(better for suspension wear too), ride was first priority, quietness probably second, going around corners fast was pretty low on the list,
the average tyre pressure was far lower(talking the 1960's now), can you imagine running a modern car and tyre with 24 to 28 pounds pressure ?
mik is offline   Reply With Quote