View Single Post
Old 24-10-2016, 01:23 PM   #729
imike1

Default Re: Depression, Anxiety

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemmeAbbot View Post
I suppose that is the definition of "walking on eggshells". People in general do seem to be so fickle these days. However, if I want to ensure my face is not rearranged I better practice the eggshell walk. Cheers.
Its not an easy thing when people are down, and often for good reasons. (e.g., job loss, leading to other losses) Also, I think time is a major factor in people changing their attitudes and coming right. That said, its not good when a brother might deck you. I found a 3 video youtube series on depression and problems of life in general that gave me a different perspective on problems like depression and breakdowns. The main speaker has written a book called "Breakdowns are good for you", and has a web site that has all kinds of interesting info on the book and dealing with such problems. Below is a link to a video lecture that gives a flavour for it. The old guy who is the main lecturer is ex army, and very direct. One has to be accomodating and patient when people are going through difficult problems, but people do need to recognize when their behaviour is out of hand too. This guy has a totally different approach (very traditional and direct) to dealing with such problems of life, and helping people get going again. I found it very interesting. Essentially he is saying that an excessive focus on self, and not dealing with ones own behaviour, or failings in dealing with a situation or problem, can drive a person to display some pretty bad behaviour, and of course make them very down. A key point is, depression is a reaction to the problems of life we face, many of which are created by ourselves, which is hard to face up too. Pushing people away, or generally acting "crazy" can be one way of avoiding dealing with it. These days it can be a cop out. "Gee doc if you don't cure me, I'm finished, can't help myself. It's a disease." or "Gee bro, if you don't tip toe around me...". People need patience and help. Sometimes they just need some time to recover from a big knock. But sometimes they also need some frank advice and pointers on what's wrong, and how to start fixing it. It can make a huge difference. If anyone can help, surely a brother can. Obviously if you've posted here, your looking for answers. This old guy who wrote the book on breakdowns has a radically different approach to the bizarre stuff one gets through the media and pop psych. (e.g. standard talk therapy from a "professional" is something research psychologists say is unscientific, and of no more value than talking to a friend, at best. When put to the test, the professionals are no better (in fact worse) than the general public.). This guy explains that, with practical, biblical, and proven to be helpful advice. It made sense to me. None of this is easy, but to help a brother, that's ok. Maybe even ok if you get decked!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLBV46lYric
imike1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: