Thread: Covid 19 -
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2020, 02:28 PM   #3408
guzzis3
AU3 ute EL futura

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Originally Posted by zilo:
Universities have monetised education at the expense of local kids.

They sell most of the useful course places to full paying foreigners.

The result is aussie kids need 99.99 atar to do courses that really require about 70 to satisfactorily complete.

To fix it the govt imports dodgie indian/pakistani doctors.

The universities can go and get stuffed in my opinion...their business model does harm so good riddance.

__________________________________________________ _______

That isn't how university funding works.

The federal government decides how many places to fund in each course and those get subsidised. Those subsidised places go to australians.

Over and above those places universities can offer as many full fee paying places as they like. Most of these are filled by overseas students. I took some FF subjects once upon a time for specific reasons.

The reason entry levels are so high is there are far more graduating students than there are places. Even back in my day teachers were busily brainwashing students and parents into believing if the kids didn't get a degree they would never get a decent job. The high entry levels are justified for engineering medicine etc, but certain courses like physio (for some reason) are massively oversubscribed. The entry requirement reflects supply and demand. BSc Physics on the other hand is easy to get into even though it's fairly hard, because there are no jobs.

The real problem with overseas students is the universities turn a blind eye to cheating and lower assessment standards to get them through the course. They are killing their market because the reason people come here is our qualifications once had some cred internationally. Corruption is rife in india and asia. Some of the "graduates" they produce are properly breathtaking.

I remember a SENIOR Indian mech eng specifying round section steel for a frame because round sections are "strong". People's faces just fell off...
3 users like this post: