View Single Post
Old 10-06-2020, 07:40 AM   #239
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Marriage - Bliss or Prison?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool View Post
An obsession called... WORK!
I devoted way WAY too much time to starting up and running a business.
Thinking back, this “obsession” was probably at it’s peak during the early years of my kids growing up!
There’s no doubt my ex virtually raised our 2 almost as a single parent...
Any devotion to family time was almost nonexistent on my part.
I also lost my Dad in 1999, when my kids were little. This had a pretty profound effect on me, thinking back.
I retreated into myself for a long time, with communication between us probably at a minimum! No idea why I couldn’t open up to her?
I also took on a few overseas projects that sometimes resulted in me being away months at a time.
Great “earners”, and upgraded the family home, and bought us both new vehicles.
Unfortunately material things do NOT make the relationship!
I think I treated our marriage more like a business partnership, with me bringing in the bucks and expecting her to raise the kids, look after the household etc?
The breakdown WAS a great learning curve for me though?
I think I’m a better person for it... I’m a lot more tolerant, I am a hell of a lot more aware of my partners feelings... And I learnt that ALL else is secondary to immediate family (especially work!)
Yeah, my old business claimed my business partners long term relationship, he ended up spending more time with me than her.

Interesting conundrum, would you rather have nice things and no time to enjoy them or long for nice things but have spare time to spend with family/friends.

I feel work/life balance isn't something people place enough weight on - until it goes south and the work/life balance stick gets broken over your head.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 10-06-2020 at 07:53 AM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users like this post: