View Single Post
Old 14-07-2020, 05:30 PM   #12
guzzis3
AU3 ute EL futura

Default Re: Hydrogen is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy1 View Post
Hi,
I think you are forgetting that Lithium mining and battery production doesn't come without significant environmental impact also through its lifecycle.

El. power to produce H2 doesn't need to come from a nuclear plant, it can come from your rooftop PV, which we are getting more and more of.

Instead of having an expensive battery bank it can be made into H2 which perhaps can be stored more easily than electricity in a battery. Perhaps in a small scale, that you produce your own H2, rather than have a battery.

However it is a fair bit of equipment involved. Fuel cells does require some clean-up and rebuilding etc. I haven't studied that part of it.

Cheers,
Except that PV are environmental disasters. There was a paper written a while back claiming they had reduced the pollution cost to produce them but it's probably propaganda. It inevitably costs a truckload of energy to melt silicon into crystals. I suspect if you trace the energy cost properly it's still more than you ever get out of the cells. But that doesn't matter, as long as the angry mob believe it's environmental that's all that ever matters.

I do quite like solar thermal. Obviously the mirrors involve a cost but the plants are relatively low tech high yield as long as your mirrors don't get clobbered too often. Maybe sacrifice some efficiency and use stainless rather than silvered mirrors.

Anyway...probably getting off topic. Supplying electricity for lectric' cars is probably not directly related to hydrogen cars.
guzzis3 is offline   Reply With Quote