Thread: Covid 19 -
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2022, 10:40 AM   #18405
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post
Looks like Astra Zeneca has been provisionally approved as a booster for Covid-19 in Australian adults.....

Ch 24 news.....
I read your post with interest because this is what I was looking into for Dad when he went for his booster a couple of weeks back. He would have preferred an AZ jab because it was a known quantity.

When I spoke to the GP about this I was told that the only boosters available were the approved boosters, Pfizer and Moderna, and they only did Pfizer. Not that it mattered because a person could only have one of the boosters as approved by the state.

Turns out that was not necessarily true and that AZ as a booster has been "approved" and available under certain circumstances since at least the 24/12/21. Maybe even earlier as the document is v2.0, the original from October.

Quote:
If you are 18 years or older, you can have the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine as a booster dose regardless of which vaccine you had for your first 2 doses.

You can also receive the Vaxzevria (AstraZeneca) vaccine if you:
  • can’t have the Pfizer vaccine for medical reasons
  • had 2 doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine previously.
https://www.health.gov.au/initiative...-booster-doses

I followed it through and the ATAGI statement says the same. Basically that Pfizer and Moderna are the preferred booster and AZ is non-preferred.

Given there have been roughly 13.7m AZ does administered this would technically mean at least 6.5m people have been eligible to have AZ boosters.

Also interesting is that 200,000 doses of AZ have been given in the 2 to 3 months. Can't see whether they are boosters or basic course though.
This user likes this post: