View Single Post
Old 03-04-2022, 07:17 PM   #16
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Vernier calipers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool View Post
Ok… Firstly, a vernier is purely an “estimation tool” (and to pick steel splinters out of your finger)
You want accuracy, use a micrometer!
Anyone that can read a“window” vernier to within .005” (5 thou) is fooling themselves!
A genuine full scale, say Mitutoyo, Starrett, Brown and Sharpe vernier maybe within .002” (depending on your eyesight)
A decent digital vernier (again, Mitutoyo etc.. Good brands!) will also give you .0015-002” accuracy… Battery life is not an issue if you buy GOOD brand that turns itself off…
As a guy that ran a machineshop for 30+ years, and purchased literally 100’s of verniers from 6” to 6ft… I can’t fathom the reasoning behind the original post? “Stainless steel and window”?? Do you require it as a collectors item, or to measure stuff?
Jeeze you're overthinking it.
I liked that windowed style, that's all. I found where else to buy them but posted my question in case anyone knows a good deal on a dial one (helps reading in dull light or glare, that's all.)

Only need to measure the difference of things to 0.4mm accurately. I ain't running a machine shop, don't need a micrometer, a mitutoyo brand or prices.

E: a half decent one in stainless will last my lifetime (unlike any plastic, non stainless or digital ones IMO), so I was expanding my budget from ~$30 to around ~$100.
oldel is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: