View Single Post
Old 22-04-2023, 01:21 AM   #4962
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Geez! I hate that!

People with no idea of measurements…….

We have to re-cover a couple of long benches at work.
They are 600mm wide x 3200mm long.
We ordered a sheet of rubber 1210mm wide x 3.5m.
Boss asked one of the guys to cut it in half so we’d have a sheet for each bench that would be close to size. He cut it straight down the middle.
Now we have 2 pcs that are 1210mm wide x 1750 long…..

I ordered a new bathroom mirror glass to replace the one that was “corroding” inwards from the edges. Called the glazier, and he asked the size. I told him it was 1200 x 900 to the edges of the frame, but the glass inside would be smaller. He tells me he knows what he’s doing. I asked if I should take the frame apart to accurately measure the glass itself. No, I’m an expert, I know these things inside out. Later that arvo the Ute turns up with a mirror on it - 1200 x 900. He’s looking at the frame, and wondering why it’s short…..
I told him the mirror that came out of it was 12mm smaller in each direction - so it should be 1188 x 888mm to fit. He gets a phone call and tells his offsider to cut 12mm off adjacent sides. I think to myself, this is gonna be risky, I’d like to see if he has the skill to nip off a slim strip without breaking the entire mirror. He does one side, and it’s perfect. He then moves to the opposite side. I point out that it needs to be the adjacent side. I get the “I know what I’m doing” crap again…..before he cut it, I said if it was 12mm off each opposite side, why wouldn’t you just cut 24mm off one side? It was a futile effort to make him see the error in his ways. He pushed ahead and took that other 12mm off….. and then his boss wondered why the frame was still too short……. They had the audacity to suggest I could cut the frame down by 12mm to make it fit the now undersized glass. No thanks, I don’t want a 12mm gap along the tiles because the offsider was that silly. They had to come back the following afternoon with the correct size mirror……
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote
6 users like this post: