View Single Post
Old 04-09-2023, 09:57 AM   #36
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Default Re: Toyota vs electric lobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozpacman View Post
See, this is why I say that EV's are 'horses for courses' - they just don't suit for my usage. Hiring is out of the question as I use my ute a lot more than 4 times a year, for all sorts of tasks that they're just so suited to.

I get what you're saying re the 15 minute 'top up', but is that sort of time frame applicable when you've exhausted the battery on, say a 300 or 400 km leg of a journey and need to recharge to continue on?

How far do you tow your race car? I can understand it would be okay over comparatively short distances, but how is the battery range when towing on a long trip? I'm genuinely interested as reports from the USA on testing of the Ford F150 EV when towing a load were pretty dismal from what I recall reading.
I understand and agree that if you have a use case that EVs don't address, ICE still have an advantage. I drive from Sydney to Brisbane or Sydney to Melbourne regularly and when you consider stop for a quick break every 3-4 hours, the car is usually charged up and ready to go well before I am.

The towing angle I still fail to understand given when I used to tow with my Everest, Falcon or recently a RX450h Lexus, they use 75% to 100% more fuel than not towing. Funnily, I did a tow test recently with the Lexus vs my EV and I only had an increase of 50% on the EV vs 75% on the Lexus. I guess you top up quicker (EV will take an extra few minutes) but for loads up to 1600kgs, EVs are an absolute pleasure to tow with. So effortless. Sometimes I have to remind myself that I'm towing.

I tow the race car just shy of 400 kms round trip. 15 minute charge just near the track. When I go to SMSP, there are chargers at the track so the car is ready to go whilst I'm on track (but I don't have to charge per say). The good thing when towing is every downhill is energy recovered from regen braking so your losses going up a hill can be reduced and range increased.
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote
4 users like this post: