View Single Post
Old 18-10-2023, 04:28 PM   #11
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Default Re: Victoria’s electric vehicle tax thrown out by High Court

I think the whole folly of "EV users not paying their way" is just that, a folly and a whinge.

EV drivers paid tax on their car (GST, LCT & stamp duty), not forgetting ongoing registrations as well. EV users are tax payers who pay an income tax. They also pay a GST on their electricity bill.
Don't forget not everyone pays the same amount of excise. I have a car that runs about 6l/100km, I technically drive on the road more than our friend with his 5.0l V8 but he pays more "tax."
I don't agree on subsidising the purchase of any EV cars or anything like that.

Are we going to get to a point in time where it becomes a user pay system? Cause I sure as hell don't want that. Imagine the health system turning into pay as you go instead of it being funded for everyone?

This is an opportunity for the federal and state governments to review road funding as a whole, the excise goes into general revenue at the federal level. So it never funded state roads.

If collecting tax is your concern, then I am sure you'd be keen to object to the stage 3 tax cuts, reviewing the tax breaks on "work vehicles" and other loopholes that leak billions in possible tax revenue.

Last edited by Wretched; 18-10-2023 at 04:37 PM.
Wretched is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: