View Single Post
Old 22-10-2023, 06:34 PM   #17
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Default Re: Honey, I shrunk the LandCruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozpacman View Post
Quite simply, I don't subscribe to this rubbish. It's Fraser Island to me and always will be.

I was at an airport recently and looking on the departures monitor to see if the Brisbane flight was on time. Scanning down the destination list and couldn't find Brisbane. Checked and rechecked and finally located it. The word 'Brisbane' was alternating with 'Meanjin'. Quite confusing really. I'd imagine it would have been even more so for overseas visitors.

I guess adding it to the arrival and departures information made some goose feel that he/she/they/them was saving the world though.
You mean you don't subscribe to the name used for places for thousands of years vs 200 odd? Not saving the world, just educating it.

Not sure if that's the hill I'd want to die on. India, for example, has been moving back to their city's original names that were changed when the British arrived.

I like it. I love learning about names used and Aboriginal culture in general that was written out of the books when I was younger.

I guess some people would find it inconvenient to learn that there was a culture and people here before they were almost erased from history.
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: