Thread: Speakers
View Single Post
Old 24-11-2023, 05:06 PM   #8
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Speakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulva View Post

Will it matter if they are 2-ways and I replace with 3-ways, or replace 3-ways with 2-ways? I know it has tweeters up on the dash, so am guessing these would be "mid range" speakers but don't really know what that means (don't know if that means they are 2-ways)???
In short, no. The crossover in the speaker will (should?) correctly split the electrical input to the correct driver; be that a two-way or three-way. Typically in a two-way unit the crossover between woofer and the tweeter is around 2-3kHz. In a three-way design the crossover between woofer and mid is around 1kHz and between the mid and the tweeter is around 3-5kHz.

There are valid arguments against the three-way design that use small mids and tweeters (as is found in some car speakers). The problem is diffraction developing around the crossover frequency. The other thing to keep in mind is the harsh reality that as we get older, our hearing drops off. As a rule of thumb, people under should be able to hear up to 12kHz and people under 40 should be able to hear 16kHz. No point in spending extra on a three-way unit if there is no way one can hear it in the first place.

My advice is concentrate first on finding something that fits.

After that, look at the specifications for the frequency response. It will say something like " ... 70 - 19,000Hz ..." The lower the first number the better (i.e 60Hz is better than 70Hz).

A bass guitar has a frequency response in the order of 41Hz to 400Hz. So, if one likes their rock and roll while driving along, this is the end of the frequency range to concentrate on. While the speaker's response will start to roll off below 60Hz, cabin gain (aka "transfer function") will make the bass sound much louder.
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote
3 users like this post: