Thread: Mowing ..
View Single Post
Old 21-02-2024, 10:52 AM   #2770
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Mowing ..

DFB FGXR6, you have made some great posts in this thread. There is just something about good lawn maintenance kit.

I used to do a lot of the mowing at my parent’s place when I was a teenager. Your post on the Victa VC Mustang brought back a lot of memories. As a youngster, I use to be fascinated by how the “fuel gauge” would work, along with the “magic eye” catcher gauge. Dad eventually replaced the Victa with a Briggs and Stratton four stroke.

When we bought our first house in 1988, we were really struggling financially (18% interest rates for a young married couple), and we could not afford a lawn mower. I was trudging over to Mum and Dad's place when our grass was near our knees to borrow their lawn mower. After about six months, Dad went out and bought a new one, 'cause the old one "broke". He told me that if I fixed his old mower that I could keep it.

I didn't read the hint. In desperation, I tore down the engine. It was one of the "gold" coloured Briggs and Stratton motors from the early 1980's. So, I pulled it apart. I couldn't find anything wrong. So, I put it back together reusing the old torn head gasket. I put oil and fuel in it, and it worked! Experienced users will shake their heads, but I didn't know any better at the time. I used leftover new engine oil from the maintenance I use to do on my old XC Falcon. (Hey, I was desperate and nearly broke.)

Anyway, the old gold-coloured Briggs and Stratton engine kept powering along for many a year, reused broken head gasket and all. We shifted houses in 1998. The gold-coloured Briggs and Stratton finally died in 2003 when I used it to mow heavily overgrown grass on a vacant block next door. Still using car engine oil, it staved of lubricant on critical parts during the heavy mow. Got clunky and died. That it lasted so long enduring so much abuse is testament to the Briggs and Stratton kit.

The next mower was a Rover with a Briggs and Stratton Quantum 5.0 with the 18" base. For me, it was a very expensive outlay at the time. A heavy beast that was only lightly stressed mowing our lawn. That lawn mower is fine and still going at my daughter’s place. I routinely change the engine oil (using the correct grade of lubricant).

My only complaint about the Rover was that it struggled to completely pick up thick couch, especially when the grass was damp. Towards the end of summer (when the lawn is growing vigorously), it had to be mowed twice. Once to cut, and the second time to vacuum up the clumps.

About eight years ago I had two mechanical heart valves implanted. No complaints as I am luckily to be alive. But pushing a Rover Quantum 5.0, that weights nearly 40 kg, around in the summer heat, when I am pushing 60 y.o. with two mechanical heart valves, is hard going. A typical mow during summer is to do 1/2 the lawn. Then go inside, sit in the air conditioning for a while and have lots of cold water. Then, back outside for the other half of the lawn.

So, in 2022, I bought myself a Ryobi 18V ONE+ HP™ Brushless 40cm Lawn Mower with the 6AH battery from Bunnings.

The good news is that with the plastic base, the Ryobi is at 14 kg more than 20kg lighter than the old Rover. Far easier to push around, to pick up and store. The bad news is that it is much lighter. It tends to float across heavy grass rather than dig it to cut it to the required depth. Also, the Ryobi had only a 15.6" base, which means more walking. The Ryobi has similar problems as the Rover being unable to pick up all the grass clippings, which means even more walking as the lawn is done a second time. Further, the Ryobi struggles in thick, overgrown lawn. Its safety feature will stall the motor. In turn means proceeding very slowly or a pre-cut using a line trimmer.

Perhaps my biggest gripe with the Ryobi is the battery life and battery management. It is sold with just a 6Ah battery, which is fine for a smallish lawn that is mowed often. The Ryobi can take a second battery. Even so, with a 6Ah and a 5Ah, it still didn't do my lawn. I purchased a 9Ah Ryobi battery. With a 9Ah and a 6Ah I could just complete my lawn in a single charge if the grass wasn't too high. Of more concern is the workload that the Ryobi places on the batteries. It discharges them so hard that they are both hot to hold. The charger refuses to charge them for a few hours until the batteries have cooled down. There are videos circulating on YouTube where the terminals Ryobi have partially melted. The Ryobi cost $599 with a 6Ah battery. The additional 9Ah battery cost $229. All up cost $828.

Anyway, I persisted with the Ryobi right up to the point last week when it just stopped working at the start of a mowing session. Fully charged batteries – check. Check battery and master key correctly inserted – check. Remove batteries and check blade rotates freely – check. It had me, as a sparkie, at a loss as to what the problem was. Investigation would require a tear down. I took it back to Bunnings. After some “discussion” that I was mowing too thick a lawn, it was agreed that I could swap it over for another brand.

I bought a Makita 18Vx2 Brushless 18” LXT with two 5Ah batteries and charger. Presently on sale for $748 (with a blower via redemption). While heavier (at 28kg) it is better suited to my applications. With the steel base, it digs in a bit more for a better cut. Maybe because it is new, but it did a clean cut and collected nearly all of the clippings. Best news was the battery life. Whereas the Ryobi would completely discharge a 9+6Ah batteries, for the same lawn the Makita only did 50% discharge on two by 5Ah batteries. That is around 1/3 of the battery consumption for a better cut. Whereas the Ryobi batteries where almost too hot to hold at the end of the mow, the Makita batteries were only mildly warm in the hand. My biggest complaint with the Makita is the spring loading in the switch (deadman’s) lever. This must be held in for the motor to operate. I find the spring rather heavy and after about 10 minutes the muscles in my arms that are used for grip are complaining. I have done a few cuts with it now, and the Makita is definitely picking up the clippings better than the Ryobi or my old Rover. Time will tell if it is as durable as the old Rover.

Now that I have retired, I want to take my lawn to the next level. You know, like those old dudes who have absolutely immaculate couch lawns. Unfortunately, over the last decade or so, our lawn has been invaded by the Sir Walter and/or Buffalo from three neighbours. Front lawn is about 70% couch (in one nice contiguous area). Back lawn is couch riddled with Buffalo. I have been hand digging out small patches to let the couch grown back. But the Buffalo is just hard to keep on top of once it is established. The other lawn pest in this area is the local native called creeping phyllanthus (Phyllanthus virgatus). That is very invasive and the weed sprays that I have been purchasing from Bunnings only seem to knock it back a little. However, I have recently discovered Dicamba M and that has done a great job of knocking the creeping Phyllanthus on the head.

One thing about mowing, it is a never ending task.
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote
7 users like this post: