View Single Post
Old 02-07-2020, 12:18 PM   #40
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Default Re: Doctors and Very Old Drivers

Cheeez, such opposing comments.....
I find it quite unfair towards older/mature drivers - case in point my father right now of 88yrs still driving.
Like some other posts, he has a top driving record, now he has to have those extra tests to retain his license and only yearly from here on.
Sure his reflex's won't be as mine but his normal general driving ability is still a "pass" as the tests confirm.
Isn't that just as any driver given a license today be it 20yrs young to 60yrs for eg.
You see hopeless drivers everyday on the road 40-50-60yrs younger than my ol bloke breaking rules, wondering lanes, not using blinkers, going 40klm in 60 zones and same goes on freeways, idiots doing 20k's less than the limit that can cause so much carnage because countless people don't keep their good eyes on the road and or not pay attention BUT mature drivers like my father or those over 60 or 70 shouldn't be on the road.
Here in Sydney just recently we've had 2 idiot drivers in their 40's it looked like push wrong pedal flying in and through shop fronts - seems its not just the elderly making those fundamental errors.
Seriously turn it up, IF an ol bloke or lady still pass's their tests they have every right to drive if they so wish to.
As for the indendence mention, very much agree, Mum suffered from macular degenration, she loved having her independence but obviously had to hand her license in, was a huge adjustment and worse for the ol bloke, has had to be her personal uber since visiting shopping malls etc, a huge penalty to pay when you've avoided that all your married life lol......
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote
6 users like this post: