View Single Post
Old 12-06-2020, 08:50 PM   #285
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 
Default Re: Marriage - Bliss or Prison?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercuryT View Post
As a poster rightly said earlier, it is really important to consider that people can change, which automatically makes the relationship change.

The person you married may not be the person they are later (and vice versa)

I have no doubt that contributes to many divorces as my Ex is nothing like the person I married. I'm a different person in many ways too I'm sure my Ex would say.

Some people change for the better, some change for the worse. No doubt this is exaggerated if marry young like we did with lots of maturing and life experience still to come.
You are right in this assessment. It's rare that the person you marry at a young age is the same a lot later on. The thing is, are you adaptable and what were your expectations? (rhetorical question)

I married very young. I was 22, she was 20 and we wanted to be together despite family resistance. But we grew together and made decisions together. Im not the younger dude I once was. Physically I am no where near what I was 20yrs ago due to health issues. She has changed and matured a lot too. Her tastes have changed, outlook on life has changed, expectations on certain things have changed and to some degree this has altered her attitude somewhat.

Is it a bad thing? I guess that depends on your way of thinking and outlook. I havent changed as much as her, but its not a deal breaker for me either. I have learned to adapt and its taken me this long to accept that I needed to make some personal changes knowing who I am now. The experience has helped me grow and look at life differently.

If anything were to happen to our marriage hypothetically speaking, I doubt I'd marry again. But that is a personal choice. Im not saying never, but there are things I would want to do in life I didnt do when I was single. If that makes sense. I dont have regrets being married, perhaps the timing was a bit hasty though at that age. lol

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont