View Single Post
Old 01-07-2020, 05:20 PM   #27
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Doctors and Very Old Drivers

lets take this from another angle and I'll use my dad as an example,
learnt to drive before WW2, had his own 5t Bedford truck that covered southern Eroupe and then Africa, (he was a YMCA chaplain)
came out of army straight back into his job as car salesman at Ford dealership, we carry on through the years and approach his 95th birthday, the family Doc is pressured by family to get his licence cancelled, never had an accident or even a scratch on any car he drove.
He looses his licence and as mentioned above, does lessons again gets his licence back. Over a 12 month period he would do less than 4,000 ks. It was his total independence, his way of quietly visiting his bevy of lady friends he thought we knew nothing about. But it was his freedom. When they finally confiscated his licence in June last year, his quote was 'bunch of f morons, I might as well die, you wont get me on bl**dy buses.
Oct last year he was on the village bus (He had an independent unit at the retirement village, well the silly ole coot was giving cheek to another lady friend and missed the step and brained himself. Passed away 12 hours later.

Now Ive thought long and hard about this and dont think I still know the answer, but put yourself in his position, You are a safe (yes slow courteous) driver, never or rarely had an accident would YOU give up your licence, your independence.
Granted where he lived was not a capitol city.