View Single Post
Old 22-08-2014, 10:09 AM   #66
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Location: On a flattened-out cardboard box out the back behind the wheelie bins.
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Good contributor. 
Default Re: What do you consider to be a fast 400m time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
Interesting technical discussion, but given the increasingly policed roads we drive on, quarter mile and 0-100 times are meaningless to 99% of people who buy cars now. Hell, the Ford dealer we went through thought it had been six months since anyone else besides me had even asked to see under the bonnet...
I agree. I think there's two different views here:
1. Looking at what is quick for a fairly standard street car with minor mods compared to the rest of the on-road traffic.
2. Looking at what is quick for a car that turns up to the local test and tune regularly.

The people who are coming from the first perspective (like me) are probably thinking 'well most modern standard cars are probably 15 seconds or thereabouts, so quicker than that by a whole second or more is ok over the 1/4 mile'. A new car that can do a 14 second 1/4 mile or even dip into the 13s - eg a new WRX or a new Golf GTi or something, is still plenty quick on real roads.

We've heard a lot of ranging views from the drag strip regulars and it seems the general view is if you take it seriously you'd want to be under 11 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnydep View Post
So when the guy next to me runs a flat 12 second quarter, I can tell everyone without clarification that my 12.9 second car is a 12 second car. Meaning that we are equals Wow, times have changed.
From previous threads in the last couple days I've learned that on this forum the cars have to have the same transmission, driver and lane, on the same track on the same day within 10 minutes of each other and under the same atmospheric conditions, otherwise any comparison is not relevant.

Last edited by Alan D Segal; 22-08-2014 at 10:19 AM.
Alan D Segal is offline   Reply With Quote