View Single Post
Old 11-07-2020, 01:01 AM   #110
leesa

Default Re: Will we ever beat cancer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstanovic View Post
No mention of kids, how many of us here have a mum/brother/auntie with cancer? A lot of people get cancer later in life (post kids etc) so not sure “saving” them or not will affect the next generation.
I read something somewhere.. can't for the life of me remember where.. but it said that we would have already overcome a lot of cancers in our evolution because historically people unfortunately died from it before they reached adulthood and started their own family. Kids who were born with genetic mutations more susceptible did not survive long enough to grow up and have kids of their own, so the mutation died along with them.

So the theory was that as a species we will probably not evolve any 'immunity' from the cancers we have today that develop mostly later in life, because we stay alive long enough to have kids. As it doesn't develop until later in life, it's not influenced by our evolution at all so unless we intervene either through finding a cure or other, we will probably never see reductions in incidents of cancer.

That's paraphrasing as I can't remember exactly what it said but it was a pretty depressing read.

Quote:
The issue is just because you have genes that are associated with cancer doesn’t mean you will get it. Then consider all the derro thieving pieces of **** out there that are 100% healthy with perfect genes, don’t really want them reproducing!!!
Would they still be derro thieving pieces of **** if they had access to resources like everyone else? If they had the opportunity for an education? A job to develop skills and make money of their own? Are derro thieves born or made? I think they're made.. and if everyone had access to the basic necessities in life perhaps they wouldn't be much of an issue.
This user likes this post: