View Single Post
Old 02-08-2020, 12:48 PM   #28
Schtoo

Default Re: A question to compter hardware experts

Depends a lot on what you need from it as well.

I bought this thing in late 2012, and I haven't yet run into anything that tells me "you need to upgrade". Granted, at the time it was a 'modest' gaming laptop, in that you could get angrier ones, but this one had all the basics on point, i.e; i7, GTX graphics, etc, etc.

Actually looking at your G55V, I've got basically the same thing in Lenovo. I'd reckon we hit a real sweet spot in laptops where the prices were good, the performance great and obviously longevity has proven to be solid.

I did add an SSB boot drive (it had an 'assist' SSD, I added a bigger one and fiddled to make it work), more RAM and an upgraded wifi and it went from 'pretty good' to 'make the local mac geek cry'.

The only things I've done since were OS updates/upgrades and had to replace the spinny HD after it died when I dropped it in Narita airport, but thanks to automatic backups, got it all back to normal with a $70 HD.

I'd like to update, but it's well down the list of things to spend money on. Certainly not a priority. That said, even my wife's business Lenovo still holds up very well and while it's starting to get a little soft around the edges, it still does everything we need it to with ease.

Should also add they were both bought for work, and have paid for themselves dozens of times over, along with being at least half written off for tax and mine in particular coming with a $500 rebate* when I bought it.

(*I really miss buying this stuff in Japan. Wangle it just right, and they'll practically pay you to buy laptops, phones and similar.)

Stu.
Schtoo is offline   Reply With Quote