Thread: Cruise control
View Single Post
Old 19-01-2005, 07:40 PM   #12
Mick K.

That doesn't sound right (about the 6 speed 'box). It is something to do with VDC, not the gearbox.

VDC monitors the speed of each wheel and some other things (angles etc) and applies individual wheel braking if necessary to control the car. It also cuts the throttle to the front wheels if required - and this is where I think the incompatibility with cruise control which is itself adjusting the throttle to maintain the set speed.

If VDC and cruise talked to each other and perhaps VDC had the power to disengage cruise, then this wouldn't be an issue, but maybe it can't???

I spoke to another Ford dealer today, they say $500 odd for parts (including a whole new steering wheel) and 4 hours labour to fit (so my original quote of $695 fitted is looking good). I can get an aftermarket unit fitted for less than $400 and it doesn't look too bad from the place I am going to get my tinting done at. Theirs is vacuum operated as opposed to electronic on the factory unit and probably won't be as good, but I'd rather spend the extra $300 on something else.

Mick
Mick K. is offline   Reply With Quote