View Single Post
Old 19-02-2020, 07:37 AM   #21
Trevor 57
is now there

Default Re: Shortage of truck drivers in Australia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
The work load would suddenly thin out and casual employee's would be no longer needed.
I've seen around a dozen drivers if not more come and go in the 20 months I've been with them.
Don't get me wrong they're nice people and im happy to work for them, but that doesn't change the fact that they're hiding behind COR legislation to avoid prosecution whilst leaving the threat of redundancy over the heads of anyone who dares to upset the apple cart and that my friend is a snap shot of what is going on within the industry and who you see more and more 'new Australian's' behind the wheel of those heavy vehicles beside and behind you in traffic.

Im actually one of the lucky ones to be honest Although I regularly drive the oldest and highest km vehicle in the fleet, im probably the only one who doesn't need to flag issues on my checks ro ever go In need of mechanical repairs and I put that down to the mechanical sympathy that I treat my vehicle with and that comes about because im a 'car guy' and treat it how i'd treat my own, whereas, to many drivers who go from one to another on a regular basis, its just another day for another dollar.
I do it because I love being behind the wheel, the money is a bonus.
I am not sure you fully understand the CoR legislation, it is about holding people OTHER than the driver accountable. For years the driver has got it in the neck when the authorities knew there were problems further up the chain, not just fleet owners but receivers and consignors of goods as well. I remember sitting in line for 6 hours at Safeway Broadmeadows then trying to fiddle the log book to get home. If I didn't get the juggle right then it is me who would have got it, now they can zoom straight in at the receiver and make them get their end right

Over-loading is also a CoR problem now too, if the consignor loads trucks too heavy or incorrectly then it becomes their problem

Consignors now have a roll in ensuring drivers are not fatigued, if the forkie believes the driver is fatigued they are required to report it to the management who will then deal with it

Dimensions also fit in with CoR legislation, wide, long loads etc

And so does load restraint, it is up to the boss to ensure that the driver has all the right gear for restraining the load, the consignor has a roll to ensure the driver actually restrains the load according to the 'Load Restraint Guide', this book is now enshrined in legislation

So, there may be bosses who think this legislation will protect them, when in fact is actually exposes them. The Authorities are not stupid, they know where most of the problems are.

I used to teach CoR to local businesses, I full understand it