Thread: OBD2 users
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2020, 01:44 AM   #10
Mondaveo

Red face Re: OBD2 users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecherus View Post
I too am interested in buying one of these to suit my MC diesel Mondeo and FG XR Falcon,
Can someone please recommend which one to buy,
Maybe a link to Ebay,
Many Ford models including Mondeo use two CANBUS networks, the common High-Speed CANBUS (HS-CAN) for drivetrain management, and proprietary "Medium-Speed" CANBUS (MS-CAN) which handles lower-priority modules like body components and the infotainment system.

When shopping for an OBDII scan tool, ideally you want to find one that says it supports both HS-CAN and MS-CAN (or be prepared to mod a basic one) to access all on your car. The "OBD-AUS" that nicrobell has linked does so, and it has a physical switch to change between communication on the HS-CAN and the MS-CAN networks. The OBDLink I have also supports both, and does so without a switch (it communicates on HS-CAN and MS-CAN simultaneously).

FORScan is the de facto and principal software to use to get the information from vehicles with HS-CAN & MS-CAN.

I've only used the OBDLink, and I'd recommend it but depending on your use case you would possibly be perfectly served using a cheaper option like nicrobell's suggestion or even the cheapest HS-CAN-only ELM clone from eBay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigd View Post
Hard to tell from the link image, but is turbo boost an option to be displayed ?
As nicrobell says, the FORScan software exposes all the data readings from the car's control modules, and these may or may not map to the things you want to know. For instance I know you can get a value for mass air flow (MAF) and boost actuator pressure (BAP), but I haven't found a straight turbo boost pressure reading - shame as that would be insightful to watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondeo View Post
Like 'Mondeo' is possibly Latin for gearbox anxiety.
Mondaveo is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: