Thread: VFacts Feb 2024
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2024, 02:16 PM   #71
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 
Default Re: VFacts Feb 2024

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Correct.

My comments were in line with shared development costs between Mazda and Ford. While Mazda is big in Australia, the brand doesn't have the same presence in other markets, the USA in particular. Being a relatively small brand means they have less resources to play with.

This is where the Ford partnership allowed Mazda to share the expensive items like platforms and powertrains, in turn allowing Mazda to spend money on the finer details like chassis prowess and feel, engine tuning and sound, flamboyant styling, quality interiors ect. Without Ford co-development, Mazda have to spend money differently in developing models from scratch.

I'm not saying new Mazda's are crap, their interiors are simply brilliant for the price, and I love that they decided to pursue RWD platforms and inline 6 engines. However, in certain respects Mazda have moved in a different direction or even backwards. Things like chassis and steering tuning, which had previously been their hallmark. The budget constraints and customers wanting less road noise and ride harshness have led Mazda to chase a wider audience, while compromising what made them great.
The two items in question seem to be more hyped up than it seems.
The auto issue is at really low speeds and if you have better pedal control the issue isn't there. But considering it's not a manual vehicle the update is a good idea as pedal control seems difficult for people who have only driven auto's all their life. If you punch this car it's extremely smooth and quick.

The suspension gripe, in all seriousness it's not something I've noticed. Coming from a Falcon with 19's it was nice and it rides better than the Territory. The only thing I could think the issue is that the rear could bounce harder going over speed bumps.

I've got a bigger gripe with the car....but otherwise it's got good power and it's nice to drive.