View Single Post
Old 08-01-2020, 01:41 PM   #123
Whistlr

Default Re: V8 ranger raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
So its $36k to modify a Mustang and this is a complete transplant which they expect will cost more.
Surely it'll be in the vicinity of 120k plus, even if they give credit for the 2.0l

Now im sure some will think im just kicking Ford here, but if its 120k or up for a Ranger I don't see how its any different to the argument against the Camaro by some who suggest the premium isn't justified when you can just buy a Mustang for 30k less, well, you can get the bigger RAM for 40k less.
I agree.

Whilst some will still order it despite whatever price I don't think it's meant to be something sustainable - just a one-off to send this platform out with a bang.

The next platform will come with a host of turbo petrol engines that will offer similar, or at least decent performance, but, the simplicity, desirability, sound, and presence of a V8 is a bit of an X factor and huge draw-card especially if price is fair.

This could be a toe-in-water exercise. If demand is good one hopes they may consider the V8 for the next gen Ranger Raptor straight from the factory. Or maybe before that, maybe even something with Wild-Track specs with V8? Or maybe this is a precursor for what's to come? I hope so.

The thing is, the Ranger's a vehicle that sells in massive numbers on a global scale so I can't see why they wouldn't include the V8 as a permanent offering in the next gen. The idea of something in this size/class with such a motor wouldn't be a bad idea when forced induction does tend to suck quite a bit under load.

I'm particularly interested in the design of the next Ranger, as leaked by Wheels. The added aggression is even more fitting of an 8.
Whistlr is offline   Reply With Quote