View Single Post
Old 31-07-2014, 03:06 PM   #12
MattSAU2XR8

Default Re: Fitting new disks wiht dial indicator gauge?

No - didn't measure hub runout directly.

As I said above the readings were repeatable to within 0.01 mm, measured near the outside of the disc, or at least 5 mm in from teh edge, so 312 mm diameter.

Given that the disc runout was able to be reduced by up to 0.02 mm by reorienting the disc it seems fair to say that this much is due to hub runout.

Given that the hub diameter is about 150 mm and the disc diameter is 322 mm, and I was measuring just in from the edge of this disc, say at 312 mm diameter, the hub runout must have been about 0.01 mm.

Given that readings were repeatable only to within 0.01 mm it would not be possible to measure the hub runout with the gauge I have.

As for bearing movement, no, didn't measure, but as I said readings were repeatable to within 0.01 mm at each point, so possibly this 0.01 mm could represent bearing play. I was pretty happy that the bearings are not a major problem yet as the car has only done 11,000 kms and they still feel tight to rotate by hand. Also I think the hub is pretty much a sealed unit now, although not sure on this.

On the topic of DBA vs PBR vs RDA the RDAs are looking pretty good in hindsight - One was as good as the PBRs out of the box and the other could have been sanded back a tad to get close and they cost just over half the price.
MattSAU2XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote