Thread: Covid 19 -
View Single Post
Old 28-05-2020, 06:25 PM   #3314
guzzis3
AU3 ute EL futura

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Work Horse View Post
How insanely tribal has America become that they would evaluate Covid statistics in terms of who people voted for.

WTF

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/25/u...ue-states.html
Blue states are mostly on teh coast. It is far more likely they have higher rates of infection because their populations were more internationally mobile and they are more exposed to overseas visitors. Exactly the same reason Sydney and Melbourne have more cases than Broken Hill and Roma.

" While children are not immune, even globally they seem to be less contagious than adults."

A couple of you responded to this with comments about children's infection rates and mortality. Note the original statement claims reduced _contagiousness_ (terrible word). I have seen no evidence that an infected child is more or less likely to spread the virus than an infected adult. Please correct me if I have missed something.

And to clarify: My previous statement regarding infection rates in the USA vs Europe (or South America for that matter) have nothing to do with the sort of prejudice driven minutia analysis the media and others cling to. The FACT is the USA is a unique situation as are most other jurisdictions. It's outcomes so far are not orders of magnitude different from comparable jurisdictions. I make no case for them doing especially well, but you cannot mount a reasonable case that they have done catastrophically badly. It does not matter if they are 10% or 20% worse than some random comparison. You can mount your soapbox and wave you fist about all you want, I guarantee if Hilary, you, scomo, bojo or marvin the martian was president you would not get a significantly different result. You would still have recalcitrant governors, vested interests and disobedient citizens.

We didn't do better (to date) thanks to our fearless leaders. We did better because we are an island, sparsely populated, with reasonable levels of compliance and a whole bunch of individuals who rolled up their sleeves.

Mm. 5:30. Time to get medicinal.
2 users like this post: