View Single Post
Old 06-10-2019, 07:09 PM   #63
JasonACT
Away on leave

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Outstanding work on the FG ICC issues. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The insane amount of work he has put into the Falcon FG ICC is unbelievable. He has shared everything he has done and made a great deal of it available to us all. He has definitely helped a great deal of us with no personal gains to himself. 
Default Re: FORD technical service bulletin : ICC touch screen display

Oh, ok. That's interesting. It might be the config profile loaded?

I've been playing with the ACMs today. Now that Forscan has "calibrated" the code (which BTW I don't see it sending my VIN into the unit - only a calculated 3 byte value each time you run the calibration routine) I can get it turned on and tuned to some AM station on the bench with my car's CAN-BUS recording. I can also adjust the volume with my spare steering wheel buttons. This is much better than soldering on some new wires and re-assembling it to fit in the car to test out.

It's nuts though! If I connect an AMP's input (I'm using a rear speaker for my tests) anywhere near the car-ground, then it gets all noisy. I was trying to attenuate the signal so there would be less hiss, with the drawback that you need to turn up the volume (doing so doesn't change the hiss level). So instead of a 40w system, it would be a 20w system but much better quality.. Sort of ready for some add-on 3rd party amp talked about previously. It's not happening though.

Confused about the quality of the MKI radio, I had a play with it too. Yep, nice and quiet. Cutting an AMP's leg and doing all my usual tests, no sound at all! The damn thing turns off the AMP when it's got nothing to output.

Turn the volume all the way down, AMP turns off. Turn it up just one notch, and the same hiss that the FG2 has can be heard. Since the screen in the MKI doesn't use the radio's ICC speaker inputs, I guess it thinks it can do that where the MK2 needs to keep it on all the time in case the ICC needs it. Sadly, there were no answers in the older model.
JasonACT is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: