View Single Post
Old 23-07-2020, 07:25 AM   #131
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Default Re: Australia - China - Poltics

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Looks like those steps have just turned into a giant leap. Is war closer than we think? Unfortunately I think Trump will play that card to hang on to power for a bit longer. The war will be fought far enough from US soil for the general public to not fear collateral damage.

On 16th July, Pompeo made a war cry over human rights and SCS. With the language used, you just knew it was the start of something.

Just now the US have ordered the Chinese consulate to close in Houston, Texas. Given them 72 hours to vacate. Has that happened before?

More hacking claims from our government, apparently Chinese hackers compromising systems worldwide "for commercial and personal" gain. "Commercial and personal" gain is hardly enough to start a war over?

In the same article, it mentions that Marisse and the defence minister will be flying over to meet Pompeo next week "at the urging of Washington" (I hope they isolate when they return).

One S.E Asian country already caught in the cross fire. Malaysia came out this week and said they won't be taking either side in the SCS dispute, and would prefer a peaceful resolution. China came out praising them. Bad move. Two days later Malaysia cops US sanction on their glove making business. Australia being "urged" to follow. Apparently "unrelated"....

Hard to be optimistic these days. S.E Asia does not deserve war at their door steps (IMHO).
I agree it is not good, Trump is undoing diplomacy at an alarming rate.

You can politically disagree with people without moving the Navy around, the situation in HK is a bridge to far with me and heavily concerning.

All you need is a rogue state to fire off a random missile and until people work out whats going on retaliation starts.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: