View Single Post
Old 21-09-2015, 10:50 PM   #3
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Default Re: 2009 MB Mondeo 2.0L TDCI AWF-1 Trans flush

Ok sorry I can't edit the first post, I left the camera behind when leaving. I just got it this evening.

I won't start with jacking up the vehicle and removing the under-tray, that's pretty self explanatory, so be careful...safety first. However have the vehicle jacked up on stands and level solid ground. The trans fluid will be hot so allow for it.

Tools: (also a drain pan missing from the pics)

close up

Drain Procedure:

1. Remove the Airbox
i. unclip the MAF sensor connector and it's clamp on the side of the airbox.
ii. loosen the intake clamp and remove the intake tube from the airbox.
iii. lift the Airbox from the engine bay, lifting from the rear two rubber mounts then the front.

2. Clean area around the fill plug.
i. using a Torx T55 bit remove the Fill plug.
ii. place the funnel in the fill point.

3. Draining the trans.
i. using the Torx T40 bit remove the level checking plug and collect any fluid that will drain. I had 1.1-1.2L drain which I thought wasn't right. Warning hot fluid...
ii. using the 17mm Allen Socket remove the drain plug. This will drain the remainder left. I ended up with ~3.2L in total.

Fit the drain plug and fluid level plug.

Drain Procedure Complete.

Staged Fill Procedure:

This is as simple as refill what had drained. When done put the fill plug back in.

Cycle Procedure:

i. put Airbox back in and MAF connected.
ii. *go for a drive and cycle through all gears for at least 20s, even in manual sport mode.

Now do the same procedure two or three more times (drain,refill,drive) how many times is up to you and the condition of the fluid on subsequent drains but four fills is ample imo.

Final Level Check Procedure:

I haven't found any evidence on the workshop procedure so I'm in two minds of thought.

A. with the engine at idle remove the Fluid level drain plug and slowly fill the trans. till it flows out of the plug at a 1mm drain spill, then fit the Level Check Plug.

B. fill with the same amount of fluid that drained on the first drain. So engine off Check level plug out fill till it spills out and fit the Check Level Plug, then fill the same amount on your first drain (mine being 1.1-1.2L).

I chose A, in that whilst it's idling I filled till it spilled out the Check Level Plug and that was it.

The fluid on the first drain was black, it wasn't burnt smelling, more like fermented fruit if I had to explain it. I put one drop on a piece of white cardboard as I was draining with a drop of clean fluid to compare. I'm glad I did it, just wish I did it earlier.

The end result that I can feel is remarkable, sharp quick shifts, but not harsh.

Situations where you go to stop at a set of lights but before you get to stop it goes green; when feeding on the accelerator I had a bit of a harsh kick. That's now gone and feels great. Oh and sport mode feels so much better, responsive even.

* Now cycling through the gears means needing to go for a drive which also means I'd have needed to jack it up every time, that's not gonna happen lol. Whilst on the stands I did the gear cycling on them. I had no issue with it, keep your wheels straight, use your brakes to slow the wheels when shifting down gears is all I do. You don't want to change down when over running that will no doubt do damage to some extent. I didn't have the airbox fitted and the fill plug was off only when filling. Some may have an issue with that, I don't.

Feel free to not use anything I've posted, i'm not advocating gospel/written in stone kinda deal.
cobrin is offline   Reply With Quote