View Single Post
Old 03-08-2011, 10:09 PM   #1
b2tf
not here much anymore

Default AU tuning options

I have a mate who is fairly keen on getting his ute tuned, it is a 200kw motor with headers and exhaust, bigger intake and manifold spacer and also has diff gears. Other than that it is basically stock.

Now I know we have covered this numerous times but I am a little rusty on all the options available now hence me asking - which tuning system and why? I've listed them below with a few thoughts, please feel free to offer your input. Not interested in which tuner does it, he can decide that himself, but more looking at which system to use.

System: Moates Quarterhorse
Pros: Allows end user tuning, not limited to any specific tuners - anybody can do it. This could be handy as his location is not close to any major tuners in Sydney or Melbourne but there are a number of engine builders etc that could do the job but just dont have the software. Cheap.

Cons: Does it allow as many 'changes' to the tune as other packages?

System: Sniper
Pros: Cheap. Easy enough to do.

Cons: Costs every time you change it. But don't they all?

System: SCT Xcal3
Pros: Highly capable tuning suite. Very effective. Supported by lots of tuners.

Cons: Expensive compared to the other 2. Limited to being tuned by licenced tuners etc.

I should also add that at this stage the initial tune would be a generic tune with the possibility of a custom tune/modification of the generic tune down the track. The aim behind the tuning is to make the most out of the mods already done and generally 'wake up' the car.

Feel free to add your thoughts.