View Single Post
Old 28-05-2022, 10:57 PM   #1540
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Petrol Price crisis......

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
400 kms for B Double, 500 kms for conventional Semi Trailer.
At what weight though, a double full of tissues at 25 tonne gross is going to use significantly less energy than one full of coke bottles at 60 tonne. I assume they are quoting best case figures?

Quote:
On their website Janus says the conversion is similar to a major rebuild $150,000 or about a third of a new ICE Truck.

Janus also says that it costs about $110,000 for the battery or they can be rented for $140 per day, thinking that would be roughly $1000 per week, which is better compared to Diesel daily consumption.
Might have their figures mixed up or seriously skewed to swing in their favour.
A crate engine with warranty from most makers is around ~$60k. Rebuild around half that. A far cry from $150k.

Is it safe to guess one of these running say Syd to Melb will need 3 battery packs per truck as a precaution. One at each depot, one half way. So that $140/day is going to be $280 or 420/day...

Quote:

I was thinking regen on trailer brakes as well but not sure if I misled you….
Regenerative brakes improve efficiency and save energy that would normally be lost to friction and heat, over a million klms that adds up to tons of saved “fuel”. Fleet managers interest in whole of life running costs would have to consider that…
Yes fair enough, I was under the impression regenerative braking was mentioned in regards to brake wear on conventional trucks, as if they're doing relines on a monthly basis.

Quote:
Also, an electric cab is a much nicer place to be with no buzzing droning diesel with vibrations for hours tiring the driver. There’s a lot of good things coming once we get past holding onto diesel. Heck, autonomous vehicles on mine dump trucks and straddle carriers transporters in port areas are proving that removing humans might save on maintenance and breakdowns. Not for all situations of course but it does offer the solution to driver fatigue…..
They're all pretty civilised now. Minimal vibration, and any is cancelled out by poor quality road surface which takes more of a toll on fatigue than the sound of a muffled engine.
Each to their own though. In a similar way car enthusiasts are a dying breed, no kid is going to aspire to drive a characterless electric truck when they grow up.
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: