View Single Post
Old 18-07-2018, 09:42 PM   #433
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 
Default Re: The Camping Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
we do this still from time to time. we keep thinking about going to a full size van or pop top, rather than the wind up, but we always leave much happier with what we have.

no one makes a 'simple' van anymore.
Very true.

I had been looking for a van for 12 months before we found this one...

Nothing against them, but we didn't want a pop top or a camper van. We were also restricted by our tow vehicle, so we had to look for something sub 17 foot and sub 1600kg.

Try finding a sub 17 foot van with a shower and toilet for less than $10K (second hand)...

So our only option was to buy an older van and have a crack at renovating it.

I was lucky, as I have experienced caravaning friends who gave me plenty of advice and help along the way...

I also read a lot of caravan & camping magazines, which was interesting as they seem to say what you are saying - have modern caravans become too 'modern'...

Anyway, we are happy and looking forward to our next trip which will be in September to a town called Sofala, Australia's oldest surviving Gold Mining town...

http://www.aussietowns.com.au/town/sofala-nsw