View Single Post
Old 23-05-2021, 02:38 PM   #93
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Worst car you have ever owned and why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Terry View Post
VR & VS Acclaims had IRS as standard, they didn't have a 'diff housing' as such.

The early Holden IRS was of Opel design & were fine if you drive like a pensioner, but if you made use of the V6 torque, they toed in & wore out the tyres on the inner edges at an alarming rate.

Stories of wearing out rear tyres inside 5k or 10k were commonplace.

Dr Terry
Now the real reason for such with rear tyre wearing out like that has to be to do with crap shock absorbers or they carry a lot of weight about.
With crap shocks they tend to move up and down more so and when going down they also scrub the inside out due to that they toe out as well when doing so, this gives the inside tyre a hard time.

I drove a VP IRS was my first time experience with them, I was shocked at how had they were, the shocks were buggered as well, 1st round about she toped out hard and then bottomed out all in a spastic mode, I pointed out to a mate that they were total s$6* He still does not believe me claiming IRS is the ducks nuts. I said why don't they use the IRS in Bathurst then ?

I drove out to Charleville from Brisbane in the Wife's live axel VS sedan and when I came back I said that the roads were spot on, you can sit back cruse 160 KM/H easy as and he went into a fit of rage claiming otherwise. That VS had Pedders white shocks magic for ride quality they were, you do not need IRS to get a good ride quality. IRS helps with rid quality but not always in handling.
My 1st big surprise with IRS was driving a VT SS flat out through a bend at 160 KM/H say and the bastard IRS did a C act because of the excessive toe out of them rubbish IRS I had to make a quick action at the wheel to correct that nonsense. a average driver at the wheel could of easy of lost it. IRS can be that dangerous. Even my VY SS ute you had to be on guard for such displays but it was not as bad as them earlier IRS were.
You always need good shocks or the IRS can become a handful.
mick taylor is offline   Reply With Quote