View Single Post
Old 28-02-2022, 01:45 AM   #1
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

Default Car trailer build

Ok, this is the only build thread I have so far, I have a truck that im slowly doing but its a long way off.

Anyway I purchased a caravan to use the parts from it to make a slide on camper, it was a stat write off and could not be re-licenced, well as a caravan anyway .

It was purchased from a online Auction and I was the only bidder, bargain at $350 plus fees, about $500 all up, Its a 2014 Jayco Stirling off road and once I saw it in the flesh I decided the chassis was going to be my new banana back car trailer.

So the strip began, I pulled all the bits I need for my camper build, sold all the bits I wont use and stripped it down to the chassis, I sold the slide out for $1500, nice grand profit and the van now owes me nothing , I put the $1000 toward the trailer build.

What's left of the van on its way to the tip.

Out with the plasma cutter to give the chassis a hair cut

Must be 500 kg here at least, the way my back felt that night it felt like a ton

Now to start putting it together, just went to the local salvage yard and scored some decent thick walled square 50 x 50 for my cross braces and some patio tube for the sides, I know you are all going Patio tube is not strong enough, but it is not being used to take any weight, its only to use for the sides the thick walled 50 x 50 will take the weight

How it looked as of last week, purchased 3 sheets of checker plate and had them cut to 600 x 2400, welded them all into place and painted with black gal.

Burnt out my old mig welder so I had to purchase a new one, used 3 bottles of gas and 3 x 5kg spools of mig wire so far and a S#!t load of grinding disks

I have since fitted a winch, painted it and started wiring it up, it has the standard break away brakes and stability control that all still work, the trailer has its own power 2 x 12v truck batteries charged by a pull out solar panel along with a heap of other things I have added along the way, I will throw those pics up next week.
prktkljokr is offline   Reply With Quote
19 users like this post: