View Single Post
Old 23-11-2020, 08:27 PM   #40
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 
Default Re: I give up!! Au missing at idle drives ok.

Quote:
Well got my dad to clean the throttle body but it made no difference. Then he put the idles up so it idles in park at 750-800rpm. Now in gear with my foot on the brake it idles at 650rpms. Now it doesnt stall when I come to a stop at lights etc. Hooray!! Still has a slight miss intermittently when idling in gear but I suppose I will have to live with that. At least it doesnt stall now!!
That's not really a fix it is just masking the issue and will cause increased fuel consumption and accelerated engine wear (washed bored from over-fueling at idle). It is very likely, as others have said, a vacuum leak in the inlet manifold gasket. Check for vacuum leaks particularly at the inlet manifold the bottom of number 1 and 6 where the inlet manifold mates with the head both when the engine is hot and cold. Use a length of windscreen washer sized hose with one end in the ear to listen for the telltale sucking noise of a vacuum leak while poking around under the manifold at idle. Note the pre fuel injection trick of using engine start sprays etc will often not work to find these leaks as the ECU rapidly adjust for the change in air in the mixture and it's hard to pick up any change in the engine noise or rpms. Just tightening the manifold fasteners usually won't fix it as a small piece of the gasket at the lower part of the inlet port usually burns through once the nuts have become loose.

Last edited by aussiblue; 23-11-2020 at 08:34 PM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users like this post: