View Single Post
Old 08-04-2020, 11:37 PM   #976
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Depression, Anxiety

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
I have found over the last couple of years, tasks that fuel the mind and break the pattern of negative thinking, have really helped me.

The most obvious being my detailing obsession, but I have also enjoyed baking and, recently, rediscovering the power of gardening. I find that when I’m out in the garden, tending to plants, that I’m concentrating on the task at hand rather than what’s bothering me.

Not everyone is blessed with a green thumb and you don’t have to be and nor does gardening have to hard work. Try sprouting seeds on a windowsill or plant some seedlings in a pot by the back door. Seeing things grow and flourish is very rewarding and feeds the soul.

Despite gardening being my profession, for some reason lately I have found a sense of enjoyment and comfort from my time in the garden. The ability to stick my head into a shrub and forget that the world is pretty crap at the moment is a very powerful tool to have in managing my mental well-being.
When I was nearing the tipping point I did get into gardening, mainly way too deep into chillies. At one stage I was in contact from people in the US and europe, swapping or buying seeds and having 60+ plants from around the world before they were even heard of in australia. That and cooking as a hobby was all I was limited too because I didn't have my own place (well sometimes I did but I planned to knock it down). Anyway, it put off my metal breakdown by about 2 years, but didn't stop it because life sucks and I'm a blackthumb (what didn't die of rot and fungus got attacked by bugs...)
I guess what I'm trying to say is don't do gardening unless you're good at it. In the end it was just extra fuel to push me over and do me in more.
E: Results may vary, I just suck I guess or I'm unlucky with root knot nematodes, aphids, fruit flies, caterpillars, fungus, root rot, white fly (or whatever that sticky **** is - maybe mites)

Last edited by oldel; 08-04-2020 at 11:42 PM.
oldel is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: