View Single Post
Old 14-04-2020, 04:06 PM   #986
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Depression, Anxiety

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
This is very much true, just like the many different medications available to Dr's to treat mental health issues, not every pill works for every person, its very much trial and error and can be ongoing as you become 'immune' to their benefits.
So too is it with the professional's themselves, I was originally referred to a bloke whom my Dr said would be excellent for me, I wasn't comfortable with his attempt at hypnotherapy of listening to his recordings, the next person I saw was an Asian lady who was completely different in her approach and it just worked, I actually enjoyed speaking with her and am a different person today than I was 4yrs ago.
The first one made me feel like a victim, the second one challenged me not to be.
I spent multiple sessions with the different psychologists but can't remember much from the sessions at all (maybe 10-15 sessions).. I know with one that was younger than me I spent my time thinking how could she know about marriage breakdowns and kids etc when it looked like she was fresh out of uni.

The psychiatrist I clicked with basically told me I wasn't alone going through divorce. I felt alone but there were heaps of other people getting divorced so I wasn't unique.. something along the lines of "you feel alone in your boat on the ocean, look around there are heaps of people alone in their boats" so get on with life.. there were a few breathing/relaxation tips throw in for good measure.

and it also took maybe 4-6 different medications to find the 'right' one for me.