View Single Post
Old 05-09-2023, 06:44 PM   #45
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Toyota vs electric lobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot View Post
A lot of people don't realise that went the grid goes down for an extended period, so does the liquid fuel supplies. Look no further than Tropical Cyclone Marcia when it hit Rockhampton back in 2015.

No power = no fuel pumps = fuel shortages.

Ditto at the local fuel distribution centre. No power = no pumps = no fuel.

And when they got a generator onto the servo to restore power to the pumps, the fuel distributors refused to pump fuel as all of their pump and billing system was linked real-time back to the head office in Sydney because the NBN was also down. So the other problem path is no power = no comms = no fuel dispatch = fuel shortages.

If anything, this particular hidden problem with liquid fuel distribution has only gotten worse.

Finally, the other thing to keep in mind is that the fuel reserve stockpile in Australia is presently only 20 days for diesel. It screams geopolitical risk to me.
Agree, might be handy to be able to do a bit of moonshinin' if you are of the ICE persuasion. Or disconnect your house from the grid so you can keep generating power/charge if parts of the grid go down or get browned out. Currently, if the grid goes down, I lose power despite having the solar, it would be nice to have a 'separation' switch - do any of you know how to do this without batteries?

And I love the idea of a self propelled car-van thingy which you can slide your own BBQ out the side of.