|
|
The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk |
|
22-08-2024, 12:27 PM | #1 | |||||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
|
(Mods: Not sure if this belongs here or in the EV thread. Given that it is a more strategic business decision that the usual EV verses ICE debate, I have put it here.)
Ford US Media Release https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...stomers--.html Ford Broadens Electrification Strategy to Reach More Customers, Improve Profitability, Continue to Reduce CO2 Quote:
Reprint from The Wall Street Journal in The Australian. (Note: Full article is behind a paywall. Extract below.) The Wall Street Journal By Mike Colias 22 August 2024 Quote:
Similar article in The Guardian https://www.theguardian.com/business...arge-suv-in-us Ford writes off $1.9bn as it cancels plans for all-electric large SUV in US Carmaker opts to produce hybrid version due to profitability concerns, citing pressure from Chinese EV competition Quote:
|
|||||
22-08-2024, 12:38 PM | #2 | ||
Thailand Specials
|
Ford US is like a mentally challenged Roomba that keeps spinning around in circles then heading off in a completely different direction.
Give it 18 months and they'll have a new CEO which will head off in a different direction |
||
4 users like this post: |
22-08-2024, 01:07 PM | #3 | ||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
|
|
||
This user likes this post: |
22-08-2024, 01:28 PM | #5 | ||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
|
Love having multiple hobbies to switch between in fits and bursts... not sure if this is way to run automaker.
In terms of strategy, it's apparent the rush into EV that automakers pursued about 2-3 years ago hasn't been backed by consumers at the rate the automakers developed product . Ford must be a big ship to adjust once on course, but they are adjusting. Toyota's hybrid path looks vindicated for now. As for the Chinese competition, is it true they have strong incentives to produce, from their government? Always going to be hard to be free market and respond to that if it attacks in scale. I do understand the directive to export to earn international earnings in the face of the real estate bust there.
22-08-2024, 01:59 PM | #6 | ||
Thailand Specials
|
|
||
22-08-2024, 03:18 PM | #7 | ||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
|
hehe slightly off topic, not sure what became of this investment product:
https://markets.businessinsider.com/...hat-1032610485
22-08-2024, 04:43 PM | #8 | ||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
|
Who would have thought that when you make weird looking cars, price them through the roof, and completely half **** the required infrastructure that consumers wouldn’t be quick to adopt the new tech.
I don’t understand why electric cars need to look the way they do. Just give me a regular looking car that will get me where in need to go in a comparable timeframe. |
||
4 users like this post: |
22-08-2024, 05:10 PM | #9 | ||||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
|
A couple of things to note
Quote:
Ford is good at announcing thing with a bit of mystery to generate speculation of the good kind…. Quote:
|
||||
22-08-2024, 08:42 PM | #10 | ||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
|
So far I have sold zero EV’s.
But I hope to double that next month. |
||
9 users like this post: |
23-08-2024, 01:27 AM | #11 | |||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
|
Quote:
Cancelling GE2 and taking a $1.9 billion loss is preferable to the alternative? Now that’s a holy crap moment…… We need to be able to separate Ford marketing from reality, one moment Farley talks about small BEVs, the next thing Ford is talking mid sized BEV pickup and Van for Ford Pro. It’s like he’s trying to will customers into buying the new offerings only because Ford thinks it will make more profit per unit. Right now, I’m not sure who Farley thinks are new customers for these BEVs, maybe Ford is pitching to “nobody” and just hoping enough buyers turn up…. Anyway, I have a feeling any new products will be Left Hand Drive only and ruling our market out unless UK is part of the plan…. |
|||
23-08-2024, 03:13 PM | #12 | ||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
|
They have some perplexing decisions for sure
All while GM is slinking back into the Aussie market with the pick up & GMC conversions, and here comes Cadillac too
23-08-2024, 03:39 PM | #13 | ||
T3/Sprint8
|
well it sure won't be significant GM numbers sold here but a blimp on the monthly sales overall.
Funnily at least they are trying to do something not that I think alot of money would be made for the efforts.
23-08-2024, 03:56 PM | #14 | ||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
|
|
||
23-08-2024, 05:06 PM | #15 | ||
Ford screwed the Falcon
|
Sanity prevails.
Once Ford stopped producing cars in Australia I've come to detest the brand.
Falcon: 1960 - 2016 My cars Current ride 2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual Previous rides 2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto 2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto 2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual 1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual 1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto |
||
23-08-2024, 06:55 PM | #17 | |||
T3/Sprint8
|
Quote:
Sure obviously it’s a pin head of their business doesn’t excuse their utter incompetence globally in this day and age. Basket case I’m surprised they haven’t gone the shoot like GM Chrysler. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
23-08-2024, 07:10 PM | #18 | ||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
|
So given this and Dodge/Jeep/Chrysler/RAM's current woes, what do you reckon 2008 style bailouts are on the cards again?
No way US will let them fail, given the industrial base will absolutely be needed in the future. Probably hasn't helped them having to buy green credits off Tesla for last 10 or so years lol
23-08-2024, 07:43 PM | #19 | ||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
|
Hey I found a photo from a recent Ford Management Meeting in the USA.
You can see why they are so good a making back flips. A very well rehearsed Team.
24-08-2024, 06:13 AM | #20 | ||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
|
Yes Ford has some mighty big mirrors of blame and responsibility it's executive team need to stare into for decision making recently.....my however, is , government ideological decisions and like banning ICE vehicles in whatever timeframe they originally set must surely have started some of this mad scramble and tens of billions in wasted money by carmakers to meet those changes which have also been diluted in some cases or not what the voters of those governments have accepted without pushback.
|
||
24-08-2024, 09:15 AM | #21 | |||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
|
Quote:
so no, it’s nothing like Stellantis USA ops…..and GM is set for a huge profit this year. What these financial setbacks should underscore is that companies like Ford ae a licence to print money. Even if you think they are run poorly, they cannot help but still make money, so all I’m suggesting is that they divert a tiny amount of their money to our market and take a shot on actually making more profit. |
|||
24-08-2024, 09:24 AM | #22 | |||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
|
Quote:
while ignoring everything else that they need to keep doing. Now that reality is setting in management is starting to realise that all the programs they raided to go chase rainbows and unicorns, are failing to bring anything close to the number of buyers promised, let alone turn a profit. Nothing teaches Ford management like the pain of loss, be that massive warranty issues or bad decisions on ramping up electric vehicles too quickly or ignoring buyers in other areas. Ford eventually comes full circle, they rediscover quality is important, buyers need to be heard and that selling profitable vehicles is the only way forward, do that and you will survive. One example in our own market was Ford marketing dude chiding Ranger buyers for being too focused on engine capacity, not realising that those buyers would pay more for a smooth V6. A few years later, hey presto a V6 diesel arrives as if by magic, they always freakin knew…. Now they charge high bucks, Ranger buyers get the V6 they wanted and profits flow……. Last edited by jpd80; 24-08-2024 at 09:31 AM. |
|||
24-08-2024, 01:11 PM | #23 | |||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
|
Quote:
If they kill their automakers, they'll end up like Australia and we can't make jack sheet for ourselves and have become a cargo cult.
24-08-2024, 08:49 PM | #24 | ||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
|
This is exactly what I'm talking about.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2A5cFjikhM See how it becomes a mess. All of a sudden the cars we are enthusiasts for, become part of a big trade war and struggle for economic/geographic power.
27-08-2024, 02:16 AM | #25 | ||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
|
To be clear, Ford is still making Electric SUVs. This was a plan for a very large 3-row SUV.
America is a very diverse country. The same factors that make the F-150 the top selling car, mean that electric cars aren't going to work for everyone. At least not yet.
27-08-2024, 11:17 AM | #26 | ||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
|
Didn't expect the land of ice hockey and maple syrup to follow US and EU, they must have some factories left:
https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Aut...wing-U.S.-lead "Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Ottawa was acting to counter what he called China's intentional, state-directed policy of over-capacity. "I think we all know that China is not playing by the same rules," he told reporters. The tariffs will be imposed starting Oct. 1." Tesla included in the tariff. Australia is going to end up unique, unless something happens and we tow the line with the rest of the West. As above, cars as political footballs being kicked by both mercantilists and protectionists.
27-08-2024, 11:33 AM | #27 | ||
T3/Sprint8
|
KUDOS to Canada !
Despite this in the article : "China is Canada's second-largest trading partner, although it trails far behind the United States." We'd be tooooo gutless to throw down this gauntlet. China is Australia's largest two-way trading partner, accounting for 27 per cent of our goods and services trade with the world in 2023. Interestingly listenning to news re our wine industry since the China embargo has lifted recently. The Wine Industry quoted - that normally happens when you lose business they opened many new Export doors that they wouldn't have gone looking for.
27-08-2024, 11:48 AM | #28 | |||
T3/Sprint8
|
Quote:
When I mentioned Chrysler I mean pre Stellantis ownership being a basket case. GM is purely recovery from low base market share pre 23 - their ROI is again from low base of the past, you'd expect the suits set the recovery as its occurred. Stellantis is a whole different ball game. 14 different brands, is it any wonder of their issues trying to balance and run so many operations ? Anyway good luck to Ford back to topic, they need it imo. I wonder what would/will happen the day their F150/250 cash cows really start dropping in annual numbers, for that time will come as gens move on. Nothing lasts forever.