Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-12-2011, 09:41 AM   #1
steve.zissou
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Mum almost gets ripped off again - brakes

About a year ago, my mum took her 5 year old yaris to a toyota dealership for a service and they said she needed to have the cylinders bored due to low compression (about $3000). Just happened to be 120,000kms so out of warranty. Took it to a another mechanic who confirmed their was no problem (was running a bit rough but a bottle of injector cleaner fixed that).

Unfortunately this new mechanic (who she thought was trustworthy) told her she needed the brakes done when she got the last service - she said she'd wait (finally listening to what i tell her). Was going to cost about $250 for front pads and fluid and machining - not bad, but i told her i would just do the pads for free.

so I order the pads from race brakes (great service as always) and went to change them last night. The pads wouldn't have even been 25% worn. WTF - at least it has reinforced to her that she should just let me look after her car.

How people can live with them selves whilst trying to rip off 60 year old ladies is beyond me.

Dont worry about the mechanic - he'll get his.

On a positive note, 140,000kms on a yaris and the front Original pads are only 25% worn - jebus, - if only i could live with a car that small and drive that slow.

steve.zissou is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2011, 11:22 AM   #2
graham_h
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Mum almost gets ripped off again - brakes

typical........ good save....... do the maintainance for her....
graham_h is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2011, 11:35 AM   #3
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.zissou
About a year ago, my mum took her 5 year old yaris to a toyota dealership for a service and they said she needed to have the cylinders bored due to low compression (about $3000). Just happened to be 120,000kms so out of warranty. Took it to a another mechanic who confirmed their was no problem (was running a bit rough but a bottle of injector cleaner fixed that).

Unfortunately this new mechanic (who she thought was trustworthy) told her she needed the brakes done when she got the last service - she said she'd wait (finally listening to what i tell her). Was going to cost about $250 for front pads and fluid and machining - not bad, but i told her i would just do the pads for free.

so I order the pads from race brakes (great service as always) and went to change them last night. The pads wouldn't have even been 25% worn. WTF - at least it has reinforced to her that she should just let me look after her car.

How people can live with them selves whilst trying to rip off 60 year old ladies is beyond me.

On a positive note, 140,000kms on a yaris and the front Original pads are only 25% worn - jebus, - if only i could live with a car that small and drive that slow.
Get the Aston Martin Cygnet!!!
Old 16-12-2011, 06:16 PM   #4
Windsor342ci
The Experience...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.zissou

Good on you mate... Good spot.

I couldnt agree more. My mum is 67 but me being the youngest of the family, doesnt matter what I know, Im still the dumbarse baby of the family...
Windsor342ci is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2011, 06:26 PM   #5
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I service my mums car now, saves her a packet and a half.

The fiance got scammed the other day, all manner of "checks" and "adjustments" that made no sense at all but looked good on paper.
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post