Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 09-06-2006, 11:42 PM   #1
karl74

Default New Focus Problems

Just wondering if anyone else is having similar issues.
I have had my LS Zetec for 6 months now and have had a problem where it has failed to start occasionally. I have taken it back to the dealer 4 times now and every time they have told me that they can't find anything wrong. This is very frustrating. I am not too sure where i stand at the moment as i have paid for a car that is letting me down and i can not fully enjoy it.
The second problem i have is a long creak/squeak sound coming from the rear (near wheels/suspension) which seems to happen when taking off after stopping. Any ideas?

karl74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2006, 12:23 AM   #2
FRA
Mr Focus

We had the same problem on both models failing to start, 2003 sedan CL and 2005 hatch CL.
It only does it now and then for some reason and goes away for ages.
Come back the other morning again, finally turned over after a few times.
Ford couldn't find the problem if it was right in front of them.
Cosworth: 2.5" high flow exhaust system, piston & rod 8.5.1 Ford Racing: Tail lights, engine cover, racing wing, cnc'd head, manifold, 70mm tb. Lentech: Torque Convertors with 23 spline input shaft, valvebody
Oz racing: WRC OBX: 4-2-1 race header
SCT: xcal3, dash scan.
FRA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2006, 12:39 AM   #3
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

I think there have been other posts on this problem. Do a forum search to find the threads
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2006, 01:53 AM   #4
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Yep - has been mentioned before. Start issues happening on a hill? or slight gradient? Apparently it has something to do with the Fuel Pump...

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2006, 04:39 AM   #5
Forest Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRA
Ford couldn't find the problem if it was right in front of them.
Definitely agree with this one.

I have a pretty annoying rattle coming from front driver side in the suspension area. Now the noise only occurs at low speeds over undulating surfaces. Doesn't happen any other time. Its not THAT bad but. A guy from Ford came for a short ride so I could show him. I explained to the service blokes that its something to do with the suspension. Next day brought it in for them to checkout.

When I picked it up a bloke told me that they couldn't find the source of the rattle. He asked me ... if I'm using premium fuel. I told him I always use Optimax. He told me that could be causing the rattle noise. Need I say any more?

15k service is due in 4ks. I will have them give it another go.
Forest Bear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2006, 10:09 AM   #6
FRA
Mr Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
Start issues happening on a hill? or slight gradient? Apparently it has something to do with the Fuel Pump...
It only happens on level ground for some reason. I even got a level out of the tool box just to see how level the ground was.
Most of the time it happens in the morning.
Cosworth: 2.5" high flow exhaust system, piston & rod 8.5.1 Ford Racing: Tail lights, engine cover, racing wing, cnc'd head, manifold, 70mm tb. Lentech: Torque Convertors with 23 spline input shaft, valvebody
Old 10-06-2006, 10:29 AM   #7
FRA
Mr Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Bear
Definitely agree with this one. He asked me ... if I'm using premium fuel. I told him I always use Optimax. He told me that could be causing the rattle noise. Need I say any more?
You have to be kidding me, fuel has nothing to do with it.
You could be using cooking oil and it wouldn't be doing that...TeeHee
Have a look where the noise is coming from, there might be a bolt not tight enough or missing but, I don't think so.

Last edited by FRA; 10-06-2006 at 10:42 AM.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:46 AM   #8
Zetec20
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Bear
Definitely agree with this one.

I have a pretty annoying rattle coming from front driver side in the suspension area. Now the noise only occurs at low speeds over undulating surfaces. Doesn't happen any other time. Its not THAT bad but. A guy from Ford came for a short ride so I could show him. I explained to the service blokes that its something to do with the suspension. Next day brought it in for them to checkout.

When I picked it up a bloke told me that they couldn't find the source of the rattle. He asked me ... if I'm using premium fuel. I told him I always use Optimax. He told me that could be causing the rattle noise. Need I say any more?

15k service is due in 4ks. I will have them give it another go.
My brother works in ford service and he's not quite as stupid as that.... what he did notice when servicing my car yesterday is that when i had my wheel alignment done not far back the tyre place had left a bolt loose which was causing the steering to knock, needless to say i wont be going back there to get another alignment.

They also had another LS zetec in there yesterday that had the "shudder when almost at a complete stop whilst braking" problem, which they had 2 people working on to try and figure it out
Zetec20 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2006, 12:14 PM   #9
karl74

What usually happens if these issues aren't fixed? Is there some sort of refund policy? Could i take my argument to Ford Australia and get compensated? My biggest fear would be to have the car break down after my 3 year warranty expires.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:25 PM   #10
WASP
Whipple Induced

Have the Zetec reflashed (there is one out now). Also run it on premium if you aren't already. You should find that this will help the starting issues considerably. As for the creak, that's a new one I haven't heard of. On normal unleaded, they do tend to ping on take off however, which can sometimes sound like engine mount creaking.

We've had a few issues now with the Zetec, all sorted but it took a while. Ford agreed to extend our factory warranty for the hassles.

Unfortunately some of the earily Focus's are problematic. Shame because generally they are a new car.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:26 PM   #11
FRA
Mr Focus

hey karl74............if you complain to Ford Australia, let me know what they say. Would be interested to see what they do.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:29 PM   #12
FRA
Mr Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDAA
Also run it on premium if you aren't already. You should find that this will help the starting issues considerably.
We have tried different premium fuels but unfortunately it doesn't seem to help. And because it doesn't happen all the time no-one really gets to hear/see the problem....but this doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.

We have a 2005 built CL hatch.....any suggestions?
Old 10-06-2006, 06:24 PM   #13
WASP
Whipple Induced

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRA
We have a 2005 built CL hatch.....any suggestions?
The fuel change alone won't do much other than make it run a little sweeter, it's the re-flash that you need. have you had this done yet on the CL?
Old 10-06-2006, 09:33 PM   #14
karl74

I have had the computer reflashed and still i have this problem. i will leave my car with the dealer for a week and see if they come up with anything. I wonder if it would have anything to do with the immobiliser?
Old 11-06-2006, 05:28 PM   #15
More revs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Where can I get a reflash done in Melbourne?

Can Ford techs tell if it's been done?

I always use premium 95 RON with zero problems.
More revs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2006, 02:57 PM   #16
amlohac

Take it to a ford service center, and they can tell if you have the latest software just by plugging in thier service computer. The creak is probably just movment in the body work, all cars do it, some worse than others cant do much about it really.

I used to have starting problems but it went away after a software update.

As for getting ford to do something for nothing? Good frigging luck. Its not just ford, its every other car company on earth. God help any of you if you buy a lemmon car cos trying to get a new car refunded or replaced (even in the most obvious and legitimate circumstances) is near imposible.
amlohac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2006, 03:44 PM   #17
karl74

Well it looks like i might have my problem sorted out. I got a phone call from the service centre this morning to tell that they had found a fault. They ran diagnostics on my fuel pump over night and found that this morning the pressure had dropped by half. a replacement fuel pump is on its way.
Old 17-06-2006, 09:08 PM   #18
karl74

Ok now i'm ****ed. The fuel pump was replaced on my car last week. End of problem??? NO!!!! On my way home today my Focus lost power for about 3-5 seconds and then power resumed. Pulled up at the lights, about to take off and it stalled. Tried to start over and over with no success. So i had to have it towed back home (what a sorry sight). Unfortunately i to wait until Monday to have it looked at.. Time to become a Holden man????
Old 17-06-2006, 09:54 PM   #19
Uni

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl74
Time to become a Holden man????
hahaha and you thought ford servicing was bad.... :

just keep chipping away at Ford, they'll get off their asses eventually, but it does sound like you have some sort of fuel delivery problem

Uni/.
Uni is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2006, 06:22 PM   #20
FRA
Mr Focus

How old is your Focus with km?
There could be a number of things wrong with it
There seems to be more problems with Ford Focus then windows XP...LOL
I would be upset with you if you went over to holden...hahaha
Old 20-06-2006, 09:22 PM   #21
orsest170
WRC Fanatic

Hey Karl,

Sorry to hear about your dramas, but hang in there mate, it is a beautiful car and it would be a real shame to see you give up on it so soon. But, more importantly, surely you would not end a friendship that goes all the way back to primary school, by getting a holden? :

Seriously though, any updates on the Zetec?
orsest170 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2006, 10:59 PM   #22
karl74

Well apparently they have to replace the fuel pump again. My car actually had no fuel in it but was still reading 1/4 tank. Will let you know exact issue tomorrow hopefully. The service manager was trying to explain the issue today but i really wasn't in the mood to listen especially after being given a clapped out hyundai excel for a loaner. Orse i treasure your friendship mate so i won't go Holden on you...i'll go Mazda instead.
If i have no more problems from here on in then Ford may get me back on side with me.
Old 20-06-2006, 11:43 PM   #23
FRA
Mr Focus

I know how you feel mate.
I have my fuel filter ready to get put in, Ford won't be doing it.
If there such a problem with the Zetec model and now with Duratec model
What hope is there for the XR5, I'm not putting down the XR5
Some of us on here have bad war stories to tell...LOL
Next 2 car I'm going to buy are Ford XR8 and Territory
Old 21-06-2006, 10:01 PM   #24
More revs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok....

Clutch pedal fell of today on my 1700Km old Zetec. A
n opportunity to examine a $160 option, piece of flimsy pressed alloy glued to rubber pedal.. CHEAP *****..
Old 22-06-2006, 01:16 AM   #25
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

160?? WTF? I paid "only" 70 for my set.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2006, 02:18 PM   #26
WASP
Whipple Induced

Quote:
Originally Posted by More revs
Ok....

Clutch pedal fell of today on my 1700Km old Zetec. A
n opportunity to examine a $160 option, piece of flimsy pressed alloy glued to rubber pedal.. CHEAP *****..
Does seem a bit pricy, however at the risk of sounding insensitive, the alloy cover pedal set were always just that,... covers. Sounds like they haven't been glued on very well but. Are you sure they are the factory items or some tacky thing your dealer sourced?

Having said all this, please understand that I have not seen them in real life, but I have alloy pedal covers on my GT and they are excellent quality.
Old 22-06-2006, 02:35 PM   #27
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

As for the starting issue, have any of you tried waiting till the little snow ball light ont he dash turns orange, its red when you turn the accessories on and goes to orange after a few seconds. I find if you wait for this that it starts fine, like a Diesel ute when its cold.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2006, 09:41 PM   #28
More revs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hang on my error that price included gear lever as well.. somthing like that.

The electics cover fell of under the passengers footwell while my boss was in the car... Get a Honda like mine he said.

But for the price it drives and goes well so no honda 4 me...

Luv my black Zetec even tho it's now done 3200Km - anyone klnow what they do for that 1st service checkover?
Old 26-06-2006, 03:43 PM   #29
karl74

Ok i have got my car back now. This time it was a faulty fuel gauge sender, so i was actually out of fuel when i broke down even though the gauge read 1/4 tank. See how we go now (not holding my breathe though). Any more trouble and Ford Australia will know about it. Would i be asking too much for an XR5 as a replacement?
Old 26-06-2006, 05:16 PM   #30
FRA
Mr Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl74
Would i be asking too much for an XR5 as a replacement?
Since there are only a handful (40 or so) of XR5 per month into Australia, and there are 45 numbers in the lotto. You have more of a chance with the lotto...LOL
I know how you feel and I'm not a happy camper with my Ford dealer.
I always get a ph call from Ford saying, by our calculations your due for a service or would you like to buy a new car.