Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-05-2006, 07:02 PM   #1
LukeGT
Melbourne, Victoria

Default XE Interceptor

Hi all,

Just trying to get some opinions of what an XE interceptor is worth. I may be able to buy one cheap (a few hundrew dollars) - it's a factory "T" & "L" code - 351 4 speed car and has a mustard colour paint - its a "Y???" colour on the ID tag.

The car will be basically a shell which someone has tried to start restoring. The body is not too bad rust wise and comes with paint. Needs a bit of panel work, paint and then assembly.

What would this be worth completed - not that I would be doing this for a profit, but i'm not going to get it and spend the $ if its not worth anything.

Does anyone have a similar car that they could send photos of?

Thanks,
Luke.

LukeGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2006, 07:26 PM   #2
xe351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

factory 351 xe's are a rare car and the last of the clevo V8, does it have the original block with matching numbers? they are a really nice old car when they are finished
xe351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2006, 07:59 PM   #3
LTDHO
The one and only

Luke you will not be a millionaire overnight but XE 351's are wirth good money and will start going up. Does it still have the original motor?

XE interceptors were a GL with Ghia bits and police bits.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2006, 08:20 PM   #4
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
XE interceptors were a GL with Ghia bits and police bits.
But no pink bits :nutsycuck
Old 03-05-2006, 10:53 AM   #5
LukeGT
Melbourne, Victoria

It doesn't have the original motor (or any motor actually) which is a shame. Just seemed like a good car to get a hold of that could be put back to bog stock original fairly easily as Falcon GL trim should not be too hard to get. What not GL parts did the police cars have? Usual map pockets, tacho dash, ghia interior light?

Would Ford verify it as a police car, or just a 351 4 speed Falcon GL?
Old 03-05-2006, 12:51 PM   #6
Black XR6
Formerly Black EX-R6

I think LTDHO is right. In probably 3 years time or so these cars will start really appreciating I think. Being the last of the clevo 351's makes them very attractive. Without the matching engine though for it to be worth anything it will need to be an immacualte restore. Im pretty sure I saw a good example of the model sell for aroun 2.5k on ebay recently. Not sure if it was matching numbers though.

I have considered buying one whilst they are only a few grand and putting it away for a while.

Oh, and I dont think Ford would verify it as a police car. You have to prove that yourself by the various mods cops make to cars etc.

Stinking, mongrel, dog.
Black XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2006, 01:21 PM   #7
Ringo
I see you....

"But no pink bits "

RFLMAO
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2006, 02:46 PM   #8
henry 351
Punch it baby, punch it.

Location: Working hard. If you work hard you get the goodies.

From memory, you could only get a 5.8/351 in the following models during the XE's production run:-
1. LTD
2. Fairmont Ghia ESP
3.Bronco/F100
4.Falcon GL Police pack. As mentioned these had Fairmont Ghia noses, bib spoilers etc.

I believe all 5.8 interceptors were 4 speeds, the same as 5.8 Fairmont Ghia ESP's.

Good luck with the resto. They handle well and look the part.I think they will firm up in value over the next few years too.
Old 03-05-2006, 04:20 PM   #9
LukeGT
Melbourne, Victoria

Thanks guys, I think I might grab it and stick it away for the time being. A lot of bits on this car are wrong, but it does have a ghia front, which I just assumed had been put on as well.

Will let you know in a few days if I get it or not.

Luke.
Old 03-05-2006, 06:25 PM   #10
Black XR6
Formerly Black EX-R6

if alot of bits are wrong with wrong block, i wouldnt be chasing it too hard if it ends up too expensive.

Point all this out to him and make an offer.

Stinking, mongrel, dog.
Black XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2006, 11:50 AM   #11
LukeGT
Melbourne, Victoria

Yeah, I don't want to pay too much for it - was looking at about $300 for the rolling shell. Does that sound reasonable?
Old 04-05-2006, 01:37 PM   #12
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun
But no pink bits :nutsycuck
This can be added too!
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2018, 10:45 PM   #13
bazzaa

Default Re: XE Interceptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry 351 View Post
From memory, you could only get a 5.8/351 in the following models during the XE's production run:-
1. LTD
2. Fairmont Ghia ESP
3.Bronco/F100
4.Falcon GL Police pack. As mentioned these had Fairmont Ghia noses, bib spoilers etc.
I don't know who started this rumour, but it's simply not true. At the start of the XE run you could order a 302 or a 351 in any model you liked. It was not a special order.

Towards the end of the XE production run, after the stock of 351s had run out and Ford had announced V8s would no longer be available with the XF, V8s were only available in the ESP and they were only 302s.

Source, me, I bought a brand new 5.8l manual S-Pak XE in 1983.
bazzaa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 05-01-2018, 12:48 AM   #14
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazzaa View Post
I don't know who started this rumour, but it's simply not true. At the start of the XE run you could order a 302 or a 351 in any model you liked. It was not a special order.
I was wondering about that as I read through this thread. My memory was from a school mate's dad who bought an XE S-pack wagon, and it had the Ghia/driving light nose on it, and was a 351. Being a Holden guy, you can imagine the ribbing we used to give each other, and he made a lot of fuss about all those cubes that the biggest Holden V8 at the time couldn't match.

However, the "restricted" thing definitely applied to Holdens of the era (pre-VK) with the only way to get a 308 being an SL/E in VB, VC & VH, an SS in VH, or Govt order (for VC & VH) - which were mostly cop cars.
The 4.2L was unrestricted (you could order base models and wagons with it), but Joe Public couldn't just walk in & order a new Commodore in basic trim, mid model trim, or a wagon with a 5.0L until the VK in 1984.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2018, 07:45 AM   #15
Rob 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

XE Ute with a 351 4 speed manual would be pretty cool in 2017 me thinks!!
Old 05-01-2018, 09:11 AM   #16
bazzaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorenutt View Post
Being a Holden guy, you can imagine the ribbing we used to give each other, and he made a lot of fuss about all those cubes that the biggest Holden V8 at the time couldn't match.
Not to worry, by that time they were so asthmatic that it was all a bit academic. The 351 was only outputting around 200hp. Mind you, not many cars were what you'd call hairy-chested in the early 80s. Only Group C cars were impressive.

My current normally aspirated Mondeo is around the same kW rating of the 5.8l in the XE...
Old 05-01-2018, 09:33 AM   #17
malazn mafia
Boss 335

What performance figures did these run? Would imagine they would be fairly comical by today's standards and a bog stock FG or BA XT would give one a hiding
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2018, 09:42 AM   #18
bazzaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
What performance figures did these run? Would imagine they would be fairly comical by today's standards and a bog stock FG or BA XT would give one a hiding
400m was 16.3s, 0-100 around 8.9s.

Yes, you're correct, any Barra 6 would embarrass any early 80s V8.

But it was a different era, Australian manufacturers were trying to kill the V8 off. Plus car engines were still very traditional in their design, only really the more expensive European cars had 'exotic' things like fuel injection, overhead cams, multi port, etc.
This user likes this post:
Old 05-01-2018, 02:42 PM   #19
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Not to worry, by that time they were so asthmatic that it was all a bit academic. The 351 was only outputting around 200hp. Mind you, not many cars were what you'd call hairy-chested in the early 80s. Only Group C cars were impressive.
I learned that the hard way with a 351 LTD vs the VH 308 I'd been used to. Admittedly there was some extra kg to lug around, but it was definitely a cruiser.

But it didn't stop school kids from bragging about the extra 0.8 litres the 351 had over Holden's best. The 7-8 year V8 hiatus turned away a lot of potential Ford fans - they were the young & impressionable kids who then went & bought VE V8s instead of FGs, despite the turbo being a very worthy (some would argue superior) alternative.

Quote:
Yes, you're correct, any Barra 6 would embarrass any early 80s V8.
Very true. I have a couple of Brocks, and by todays standards they are anything but fast. Back in the day it was a different story though.
For comparisons with modern cars, I've had my 2011 LPi since new, and it would easily outdo the Brocks. I'm waiting for another dyno day just to do a ****-stir!
We had a track day a few years back and a manual 3.5 Magna was occasionally quicker than the V8 Brocks - depending on who was driving what at the time. A bloody magna!
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-01-2018, 02:51 PM   #20
TICKFORD220
2009 Fg xr6 turbo

Have to be worth at least 10 g with a good freshly painted body with no rust. I sold my xd with a mild 250 a few years ago for about 5 g and the body was far from mint,driveline was mint though.
TICKFORD220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2018, 03:36 PM   #21
bbbero

I was just reading through and thought to myself you would be crazy not to take a 351 tagged XE for around $300, then saw the thread was from 2006 LOL!!!
bbbero is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-01-2018, 08:41 AM   #22
stock1991
Limited supply

Quote:

Towards the end of the XE production run, after the stock of 351s had run out and Ford had announced V8s would no longer be available with the XF, V8s were only available in the ESP and they were only 302s.

Source, me, I bought a brand new 5.8l manual S-Pak XE in 1983.
I remember back in the day, early 80's you could pretty much order what ever you wanted, from memory you had to wait around 16 weeks from the time of placing your order. There was something like 200 OSO (off standard option)colours to choose from and you could specify interior colour even if it wasn't offered as a standard combination. you could specify power steer in low specs, the whole bit. I knew a lady waited 3/4 months for a 3 door Laser manual base model because she wanted black interior
stock1991 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Yesterday, 06:33 PM   #23
sacko7
Starter Motor

Talking Re: XE Interceptor

I have just put a 351 in an XE that was originally a 3.3. Vic roads explained the rules, Ford stop producing XE v8's in November 1982 ( with the exception of a specced up interceptor), so if your XE is pre November 1982 you could upgrade to a v8 after that, no. Fortunately mine was June 1982
sacko7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Yesterday, 10:16 PM   #24
ute83
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Am I the only 1983 xe ute owner with a v8 conversion in vic?
ute83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Today, 07:16 AM   #25
sacko7
Starter Motor

probably not, but that is what Vic Roads told me. I assume that you did not have to get an engineer's certificate. If it is a 351 and Vic Roads have the correct engine number on your rego, well done. I don't know if they changed the rules or not, I just hope that if you sell it, Vic Roads do not have some flag that comes out when rego is transferred. Cheers
sacko7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post