Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-08-2009, 01:49 PM   #1
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Lightbulb The European export question

Recent announcements have been somewhat of a revelation to some, and "hello Captain Obvious" to others.

However introducing a 4cyl turbo and a turbo diesel to the production line has opened up an interesting prospect (IMO) for a fuel-efficient Falcon (or a derivative) to be exported to Europe.

Now we know full well that the FG has not been designed, engineered and tested for LHD, but it is design protected for LHD. There is also an update model with some sheet metal revisions due in 2011 possibly.

That $231Million certainly seems like a lot of money simply to certify 2 new engines into an existing fleet. In-house LPG fitment to an existing engine doesn't really count as a new engine, so that's even less cost. So where is all that money going to go?

Could a LHD Falcon be under development for the European market in that timeframe, to use the 2.7L TDCI, or the 4cyl turbo? It would need to be a high-spec car (G6E or higher), styled differently and called something else, possibly not even a Ford (Lincoln anyone?) but the question remains: is it feasible? Given the physically smaller dimensions of a 4 cylinder, could the overhangs of the Falcon be shortened to make the car smaller and more suitable for the European market, while still retaining the Falcon's passenger cabin space which is quite clearly favoured by European buyers of Audis, Mercs and Beemers?

Is this car going to be Ford's "4 cylinder small car program"?

Is the age old, on-again off-again export question for the Falcoon worth considering still, given to what has happened to Ford's cross town sidekick at GMH, with it's export program in tatters?

Discuss.

Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2009, 02:00 PM   #2
GT69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its a hard question. With the announcement of the f6e and having 'euro competitor' used in the press release, it certainly does raise some questions. I cant honestly see a 4 cylinder falcon becoming a euro vehicle. I believe personally the f6e and GTe are where the euro export potential lies. And yes, an export to the states isn't currently possible, but the f6 and GT p would be the vehicles for a yank export program. Richard hammond hinted at something while reviewing the bathurst. If your a business man, the bathurst really isn't the car for you. Its rather vulgar and loud, not exactly something executives or business men get around in. Enter the f6e and GTe, I believe it would be a winner.

I don't no how the mondeo goes through europe. Im sure its pretty successful, I just cant see a 4 cylinder falcon cracking that market.

Current Ride - 2013 Ford Ranger, XLT 4x4, ARB kitted brick
Former Current ride - 09 XR6T in Octane, with a pinch of Sports pack
Weekender - Ford Cortina 1969 coupe
Project - 1968 Ford Cortina 4 door
GT69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2009, 02:03 PM   #3
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Not sure about Europe but I do expect a possible US export program, possibly to replace the aging Crown Vic?
Old 06-08-2009, 02:04 PM   #4
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

The mondeo AFAIK to very popular and I couldn't see why they would replace it the falcon.

But perhaps having performance exports would be good. I dont know if there is a need for a ute either.

I think the US and Asia is more relevant to FoA.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2009, 02:41 PM   #5
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

My point was that this hypothetical car would not be introduced as a competitor to the Mondeo, but as a premium RWD car to sit above it. Under a different brand.
Old 06-08-2009, 02:45 PM   #6
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

What like infiniti is to Nissan?

I would only bother exporting the XR6T and G6ET, other than that there is too much cross over IMO.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2009, 02:56 PM   #7
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Up until a few months ago I think Ford AU's export plan revolved around building the Focus in Australia.

Now I think they're hanging on to local production by their fingertips, and are nowhere near secure enough to be planning world domination. I'd like to be proved wrong though.

I'd feel better listening to talk about a new generation Territory or Falcon rather than updates to current models.
Old 06-08-2009, 04:20 PM   #8
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
What like infiniti is to Nissan?

I would only bother exporting the XR6T and G6ET, other than that there is too much cross over IMO.
Actually I was thinking more along the lines of what Lincoln is to Ford
Old 06-08-2009, 08:58 PM   #9
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

I did think of this, I4 And I6T going over there (Euro). G4ET, G6ET and GT-E...?

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2009, 09:22 AM   #10
ltd
Force Fed Fords

I think as a trade off for ford usa in the agreement to can local production of the focus, there may have been some export inititiatives given to ford aus such as the premium models to the USA/UK.
Unlikely Ford Aus would look at cancelling a program that would ensure its survival whilst having little else in the fire so to speak.

Quote: