Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 26-11-2009, 01:44 PM   #1
perthfggsute

Default bf xr8 ute first time its been down the strip

Morning fella's

Last night took the 2006 bf xr8 ute down the strip for the first time,i have raced alot over the last 30 years but it was this vehicles first time on the quarter.

It was over here in Perth,the track had alright traction,air temp was around 17c.

Best time was 13.38 at 167 kph, with a few in the 13.4's.

Did 7 runs all up.

Ute has the following done to it.

Diff gears are 3.46 (originally 2.73's).

Defillipo headers and cats,hotdogs in place of center muffler and two more hotdogs in place of rear resonator.

Flash tune installed

82 degree thermostat

Helix spacer

BPR cold air kit

Ute has the 6 speed semi auto

the fastest runs were all done in sports mode and let the box do the shifting,it is running the standard 17" wheels and tyres,best runs were with 26 psi in the rears,ran 45 psi in the front tyres,i did a small burn out on the fastest runs,loaded the stall a bit and just nailed it on the last amber.

was very happy at the 13.3 considering the minimal mods done (so far),my expectations before going was to just get under 14.0,it was just good to be back on a track again,as i haven't raced for 3 years.

Now i have to think about what more to do to the ute to get into high 12's consistently.

I hope some of the above info is of use to some of you. Cheers Dave

perthfggsute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2009, 10:30 PM   #2
XRLEIGH

well done,sounds like you had fun !!!
XRLEIGH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2009, 10:38 PM   #3
tray_18
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That is a pretty good time for a ute
well done
tray_18 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2009, 12:07 AM   #4
Lion Slayer
Is Ford, Is Good

That's a great time mate. Did you have much trouble with wheelspin?

Herrod Camshafts-Pacemaker ceramic coated 4-1 extractors-100 cpsi cats-X-Force dual 2.5 inch stainless catback exhaust-Bluepower CAI-Mellings oil pump-4.11 diff with truetrac-Lowered on SL / SSL-TSW Nurburgring 20x9.5/8.0

Custom tuned by RDP 260 rwkw
Lion Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2009, 12:25 AM   #5
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Did have much trouble with your ears ringng - No mufflers i bet its a noisey bugger
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2009, 12:05 PM   #6
perthfggsute

wheel spin was minimal,the track was good as they had a big meeting on the previous saturday,
the ute is a bit loud it has toned down a bit since getting the hotdogs fitted,they must have carboned up a bit.
im considering a small nitrous kit,like a 50 hp shot.
i have had nos on other vehicles,with out any dramas,really want a 12 second pass now,thats the trouble with drag racing its addictive!.cheers
Old 28-11-2009, 06:19 PM   #7
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What was the 60ft??
Quadcams is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2009, 12:24 AM   #8
perthfggsute

60 foot was 2.13
Old 19-12-2009, 12:18 AM   #9
perthfggsute

Hi fella's

Well ran the ute again a couple of nights ago have been away on the minesites doing construction so only get to race every 5 weeks or so,although it has been 40 plus every day and i have to wear overalls,heavy leathers etc being a boilermaker/welder,so told them i'm going to have a couple of months off,i'm tired of getting baked every day in the Aussie dessert.
Anyway had a custom tune done the day of racing,just to fine tune the mods done,it was done by BPT over here in perth,they really are professional,i highly recommend them for any ford work,they will always get my money.

So did a 13.2 with traction issues,the track was not as 'sticky' as the last time i raced,also it was a bit warmer,but i was pleased to get a new pb,i did 3 runs in the 13.2's,also i messed a red light up by getting a reaction time of 0.001 on my best run!,top speed is up to 169.69 kph.

Just went and got 2 hoosier et street radials(semi slicks).they are 255/50 16's

I am running them on pre au 16 inch ford 16" x 7" el xr8 factory mags,so now i will see if they help my 60 foot times as i have been getting consistent 2.1's,so am hoping that comes down a tenth or two.

QUESTION TIME; TO THOSE THAT ARE EXPERIENCED WITH THESE RADIAL DOT SLICKS WHAT TYRE PRESSURE DO YOU SUGGEST THAT I START WITH,ANY AND ALL INFO APPRECIATED.

Once i get all i can from these i am going to look at a stall converter,again what do you suggest,bare in mind i still want to use the ute to cruise around the streets,i thought maybe 2000 rpm stall,what do you fella's reckon on that.cheers, dave,perth
Old 19-12-2009, 02:37 PM   #10
dyno junkie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I run Mickey Thompson 245/40/18 Drag Radials with 16psi for 1.7 60' times
dyno junkie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2009, 12:37 AM   #11
dadem0n
The Anti XLR8V8

22psi is a good starting point
dadem0n is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2009, 12:53 AM   #12
CRAIGAU3220
Cat be Still !!!

Go to the Hoosier web site and see what they recommend.
CRAIGAU3220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2009, 02:42 PM   #13
WOLF
Track Red XY

I didn't think you could fit 16 inch rims over the brakes in a BF XR?
WOLF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2009, 07:57 PM   #14
perthfggsute

Cheers for the advice so far,im going to start at 24 psi,and take it from there.Reduce 1 psi per run and hopefully learn something.

Yes i had to sand 1 mm off my rear calipers in one spot but i dont think that will do any harm,and used pre ba rims (el xr8 to be exact.so all good now).

Took the ute out on the road and gave them a bit of a play,just to sus the whole thing out,will see how i go this Wednesday.

Have taken the towbar off,and when i go to the track will take all the other junk out,that is practical.

If anyone knows what sort of stall people are using on a street/strip vehicle of my type,please let us know.Cheers fella's
Old 22-12-2009, 09:31 PM   #15
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by perthbfxr8
Hi fella's

Well ran the ute again a couple of nights ago have been away on the minesites doing construction so only get to race every 5 weeks or so,although it has been 40 plus every day and i have to wear overalls,heavy leathers etc being a boilermaker/welder,so told them i'm going to have a couple of months off,i'm tired of getting baked every day in the Aussie dessert.
Anyway had a custom tune done the day of racing,just to fine tune the mods done,it was done by BPT over here in perth,they really are professional,i highly recommend them for any ford work,they will always get my money.

So did a 13.2 with traction issues,the track was not as 'sticky' as the last time i raced,also it was a bit warmer,but i was pleased to get a new pb,i did 3 runs in the 13.2's,also i messed a red light up by getting a reaction time of 0.001 on my best run!,top speed is up to 169.69 kph.

Just went and got 2 hoosier et street radials(semi slicks).they are 255/50 16's

I am running them on pre au 16 inch ford 16" x 7" el xr8 factory mags,so now i will see if they help my 60 foot times as i have been getting consistent 2.1's,so am hoping that comes down a tenth or two.

QUESTION TIME; TO THOSE THAT ARE EXPERIENCED WITH THESE RADIAL DOT SLICKS WHAT TYRE PRESSURE DO YOU SUGGEST THAT I START WITH,ANY AND ALL INFO APPRECIATED.

Once i get all i can from these i am going to look at a stall converter,again what do you suggest,bare in mind i still want to use the ute to cruise around the streets,i thought maybe 2000 rpm stall,what do you fella's reckon on that.cheers, dave,perth
I use to run MT streets 255/60/16 and ran them at around 16psi, managed high 1.7 60's on them. but as someone said with the BF's I dont think the 16's will fit over your brakes, if you go the 17", dont run as low as 16psi more like 18-20 psi, due to the smller side walls.
If you want good numbers go a 3000 stall, drives fine on the street, should manage 1.8 60's and be in the 12's, very good mod for a auto,
Old 26-12-2009, 12:14 AM   #16
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcams
I use to run MT streets 255/60/16 and ran them at around 16psi, managed high 1.7 60's on them. but as someone said with the BF's I dont think the 16's will fit over your brakes, if you go the 17", dont run as low as 16psi more like 18-20 psi, due to the smller side walls.
If you want good numbers go a 3000 stall, drives fine on the street, should manage 1.8 60's and be in the 12's, very good mod for a auto,
A bit difficult with a ZF box. However I think BPT claim to have a way around that with the Sniper tuning??
Old 04-01-2010, 07:51 PM   #17
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
A bit difficult with a ZF box. However I think BPT claim to have a way around that with the Sniper tuning??
Be away, sorry my bad, ZF, no stall, doh!
Old 05-01-2010, 09:45 AM   #18
WOLF
Track Red XY

I haven't seen it in person, but there is atleast 2 people on another forum claiming to have had a custom hi-stall mated to a ZF box, and this was a while ago from memory. Can't have been all that succesfull though, as we haven't heard much about it since.
WOLF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2010, 09:24 PM   #19
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLF
I haven't seen it in person, but there is atleast 2 people on another forum claiming to have had a custom hi-stall mated to a ZF box, and this was a while ago from memory. Can't have been all that succesfull though, as we haven't heard much about it since.
With the SCT flash box it aint possible, can adjust the fuel cutout on changes to tighten changes a little, but thats about it. From what Ive heard SCT wanted some rediculous amount of money for the softwear to be able to tune the ZF as it has its own ecu and nobody was willing to come up with the money to get the rights to release it, a pitty as some of the ZF equiped cars out there would be doing some serious numbers if they could run a high stall.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:10 PM   #20
perthfggsute

Cheers for the input fella's

The ute is now running 13.1 so i was hoping to get a stall,i'm now manually shifting to utilise 1st gear,as it was ok taking off in performance auto mode (which takes off in 2nd gear) on street tyres,but with the semi slicks it bogs down way to much (because of having no poxy high stall! ),so am manually shifting from 1st,its a bit trickier ,but i just need to keep at it.A stall would really help,but i guess that isn't going to happen now.Am looking at fitting deeper diff gears,presently have 3.46 up from 2.73,was thinking 4.11's.

I have just got hold of a belt that will just run the crank,water pump and alternator,i fitted it up and all worked well,did a few full power runs etc to make sure my idea works,and it worked a treat,takes less than a minute to take the proper belt off,and 3 minutes to fit my 'just for the drags' belt,way cheaper than underdrives i think,but am looking at that and oil pump gears in the future.Lucky i use steroids for my powerlifting competitions because that wheel takes a bit of muscle without the power steering pump working!!!

Am going to fit some manifold phenolic spacers by mace engineering,theirs go between the bottom of the runners and the heads.

the trouble with 1st gear take offs at full noise is that the compuer does not 'keep up' with the rest of it ,meaning if i change gear at anything over it reading 4000 rpm,by the time it changes i hit the rev limiter and screw the whole run up,so i was wondering if one of those big shift light tacho's can be used in a bf xr8,please let me know,has anyone on here used one in a bf???
I know you can get a shift light only,but if i can run one of those big good quality tacho's with the shift light hanging on the side of it i would prefer to go with one of those.

Any and all info appreciated,just keep it coming.Cheers Dave
Old 08-01-2010, 02:40 PM   #21
Zaxx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi guys,

Sorry to interupt your flow of thoughts here Dave, but I was wondering about all this drag/Qtr Mile business, and I wouldn't mind having a go myself one day. It'd be fun to see how fast it'll go and do it in a place that wont get you a ticket.

But i'm a little confused. With an Auto gearbox like dave and myself have, is it a matter of just stomping and steering, and hoping for the best time?
Or is there something you have to do for a better launch?

Cheers.
Zaxx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post