Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Ford Forums Central > Site Support

Site Support If something isn't working or you have a suggestion ( a nice one !! ) let us know here.

Old 28-04-2007, 01:27 PM   #1
bob 351
MIGHTY MAGPIES 2010

Location: yarram se vic in the shed listening to pinkfloyd and rubbing panels
Default idea and question to mod's

i was having a think about it and was wondering if maybe we should have a reward sytem only an idea if a aff member gets some one to join aff maybe one of the sponsers might like to give some sort of price also maybe a bonus or something from aff admin for the number of post any body put;s up anyhow just a thought

bob 351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2007, 02:06 PM   #2
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob 351
maybe a bonus or something from aff admin for the number of post any body put;s up anyhow just a thought
I can see that idea only bringing useless spam posts. Like we don't have enough of that already.
Old 28-04-2007, 02:11 PM   #3
bob 351
MIGHTY MAGPIES 2010

as i said just a thought but if it is going to cause problems maybe not
Old 28-04-2007, 02:14 PM   #4
rodderz

There are a lot of threads and posts every day that mods & admin have to either delete, merge, move or edit. It's the quality of posts that count, not the overall number that makes the forum what it is

I see the reward idea as having some merit though, it would have to be looked at hard though first of all so as to not encourage more useless posts.

The last month or 2 the bar has seen some ridiculous threads...it is the off topic area although there are some threads that would be best put into a chat room
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2007, 02:40 PM   #5
bob 351
MIGHTY MAGPIES 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodderz
There are a lot of threads and posts every day that mods & admin have to either delete, merge, move or edit. It's the quality of posts that count, not the overall number that makes the forum what it is

I see the reward idea as having some merit though, it would have to be looked at hard though first of all so as to not encourage more useless posts.

The last month or 2 the bar has seen some ridiculous threads...it is the off topic area although there are some threads that would be best put into a chat room
ok so i know it may be a bit of a pain but maybe just an idea may be just a thought that a reward point system say 500 post a aff car sticker or maybe 1000 post a aff hat or some think along those line but of course you would have to monitor the quality of the threads
Old 28-04-2007, 03:48 PM   #6
Falcon_Phill
1967 XR Falcon

Donate, and youll get lots of rewards.
Old 28-04-2007, 03:59 PM   #7
Blue Ice
Living the Dream

Maybe a 'Post of the month' would work. Give away donated items from site sponsors or something.
Blue Ice is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2007, 07:19 PM   #8
XRchic
Hello

Imagine getting rewards for the NUMBER of posts... I think that would encourage rather than discourage stupid posts beyond all comprehension.

Why should someone be rewarded for 500 idiotic one-liner posts when there are people with 75 posts, each of which makes a decent contribution to the forums beyond chat room standard of conversation.

I think things have improved in the Bar lately, and the Tool Chest seems to be working. Lets see how that goes for a while. Ive seen a lot less stupid threads posted in the Bar recently...

I happen to think that the key to this issue is getting people out of the Bar and into other areas of the forums - then a lot of this will disappear. Its not being in the Bar that is the problem - its ONLY being in the Bar that causes problems I think.

Its a Ford forum. If anyone comes on here with a Ford, there is guaranteed a section where people can talk about THEIR cars.. perhaps they need to be pointed there when they first join, I dunno...

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2007, 09:03 PM   #9
b2tf
not here much anymore

Think I must have missed something, why do we need to reward people?

It's the internet, its a forum, use it if you want to, don't if you don't. Amuses me that in one part of the forum we have people whinging and moaning about crap posts and OT dribble, and in another part we have people wanting to reward posts and such.
Old 28-04-2007, 09:43 PM   #10
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We could always have an award for "The number of times you suggest something, only to be shot down"

Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2007, 12:50 AM   #11
bob 351
MIGHTY MAGPIES 2010

whats the point in saying anythink with so many negative people around may as well just delete the thread and forget i even had the idea bye

Last edited by bob 351; 29-04-2007 at 12:58 AM.
Old 29-04-2007, 03:38 PM   #12
XRchic
Hello

You started a thread about and idea and with questions. You got some responses to your idea and some answers. Problem?

Old 29-04-2007, 03:59 PM   #13
bob 351
MIGHTY MAGPIES 2010

no no problem i just find it dissapointing to be critised for an idea that may have some merit i also am very dissapointed that there was not a bit more positive reaction as i said what is the point of trying to come up with an idea that may be some fun for the forum if it was done correctly if it is only going to get shot done without it being look at by the admin team
Old 29-04-2007, 04:41 PM   #14
XRchic
Hello

Yeah thats fair enough but when you ask the people who run this site and have done so for years, the chances are that if they think something wont work, its because it wont and they know it... it may seem negative, but it may be a fact.

I cant really see how rewarding people for their post count is going to help our problem but its fair enough to ask!

Old 29-04-2007, 05:28 PM   #15
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
no no problem i just find it dissapointing to be critised for an idea that may have some merit i also am very dissapointed that there was not a bit more positive reaction as i said what is the point of trying to come up with an idea that may be some fun for the forum if it was done correctly if it is only going to get shot done without it being look at by the admin team
So I'm thinking it was my post that has you feeling this way.

Let me explain my reasoning behind it:-

* this is a public forum with around 30,000 members. Which sponsor is going to be the one to wear the cost of "prizes" for posts when you have a fair few going up every day. And what do they get out of it other than a bill.

* what makes a post worthy of a reward, who decides that, and who deals with all those who will no doubt disagree.

* why do we need to reward somebody for making a post anyway?

* What you would end up with is a whole lot of users posting like mad to get that gem of a post that wins them the prize, while all their other efforts add to the queue of posts that may have to be moderated, are off topic etc etc.
Old 29-04-2007, 06:21 PM   #16
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Another forum I subscribe to (focusfanatics.com, based in the US) has a system of Members Reputation, where other members can add to (or detract from) a members reputation based on the quality of a particular post (not quantity). It is not used frequently, but gives a guide to those select few who have a history of quality contributions to the forum...which tends to give you more confidence in their advice
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2007, 09:40 PM   #17
bob 351
MIGHTY MAGPIES 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
So I'm thinking it was my post that has you feeling this way.

Let me explain my reasoning behind it:-

* this is a public forum with around 30,000 members. Which sponsor is going to be the one to wear the cost of "prizes" for posts when you have a fair few going up every day. And what do they get out of it other than a bill.

* what makes a post worthy of a reward, who decides that, and who deals with all those who will no doubt disagree.

* why do we need to reward somebody for making a post anyway?

* What you would end up with is a whole lot of users posting like mad to get that gem of a post that wins them the prize, while all their other efforts add to the queue of posts that may have to be moderated, are off topic etc etc.
Fair point you make there and i can understand your concern for the health of the forum but it was only a thought and yes it was your comment that you made i thought it was a personal attack on me but i can see maybe it was'nt so i think that maybe we will not worry about the idea as you say it will just cause to much hassle for the admin team and sponsor's thank's for the feed back
cheer's bob
Old 29-04-2007, 09:49 PM   #18
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Fair point you make there and i can understand your concern for the health of the forum but it was only a thought and yes it was your comment that you made i thought it was a personal attack on me but i can see maybe it was'nt so i think that maybe we will not worry about the idea as you say it will just cause to much hassle for the admin team and sponsor's thank's for the feed back
cheer's bob
Bob your input is always welcome and it certainly wasn't a personal attack :
Old 30-04-2007, 12:00 AM   #19
bob 351
MIGHTY MAGPIES 2010

[QUOTE]Bob your input is always welcome and it certainly wasn't a personal attack that's ok no offence taken
Old 30-04-2007, 10:08 PM   #20
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
One thing i learnt about Idea's is that in 99 / 100 they just dont pan out, and early on i thought the same about my ideas (critised etc etc), but in reality it's not, but more people throwing thoughts back at you in thier way.

But i did learn thats it's fine to put your ideas forward and keep them coming and in that know that most of them end up in the rubbish, once you over that part it may be one day you come up with the magic idea.

we would not have a light globe if the first attempt failed, so whatever you do don't stop throwing ideas based on a few results, Idea's people are and will always be needed or life as we know it stays the same.
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2007, 10:05 PM   #21
bob 351
MIGHTY MAGPIES 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC
One thing i learnt about Idea's is that in 99 / 100 they just dont pan out, and early on i thought the same about my ideas (critised etc etc), but in reality it's not, but more people throwing thoughts back at you in thier way.

But i did learn thats it's fine to put your ideas forward and keep them coming and in that know that most of them end up in the rubbish, once you over that part it may be one day you come up with the magic idea.

we would not have a light globe if the first attempt failed, so whatever you do don't stop throwing ideas based on a few results, Idea's people are and will always be needed or life as we know it stays the same.
agreed as someone said to me today hang around with a genius eventualy you become one
Old 01-05-2007, 10:33 PM   #22
JACK250
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbzetec
Another forum I subscribe to (focusfanatics.com, based in the US) has a system of Members Reputation, where other members can add to (or detract from) a members reputation based on the quality of a particular post (not quantity). It is not used frequently, but gives a guide to those select few who have a history of quality contributions to the forum...which tends to give you more confidence in their advice
That's a great idea.
JACK250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post