Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 30-04-2009, 06:20 PM   #1
snap

Default Child Support

How do they justify the huge amounts Child Supprt Agency scalp off your pay after you pay tax. What are your thoughts on this???

166.2RWKW.
CHEERS SNAP
snap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2009, 06:25 PM   #2
jmartin
jmartin

Its not really fair. I've been paying it now for 12 years, with 3 years to go.
jmartin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2009, 06:26 PM   #3
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by snap
How do they justify the huge amounts Child Supprt Agency scalp off your pay after you pay tax. What are your thoughts on this???

While I agree that parents have a responsibility to pay for their childs upkeep I think the amounts that non custodial parents pay (mainly fathers) is way too steep.

My ex gets $2g a month from me being child support for 2 kids aged between 11 and 14 which is more than enough to cover my share of their food, clothing, sports reg fees...Plus I also pay half the mortgage payments on a house I no longer live in and haven't done for 2 and a half years.

I agree it sucks
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2009, 06:39 PM   #4
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm fairly sure you can have CSA take the mortgage payment into account as you are providing accomodation they will then deduct that amount from your support payments
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT0132
While I agree that parents have a responsibility to pay for their childs upkeep I think the amounts that non custodial parents pay (mainly fathers) is way too steep.

My ex gets $2g a month from me being child support for 2 kids aged between 11 and 14 which is more than enough to cover my share of their food, clothing, sports reg fees...Plus I also pay half the mortgage payments on a house I no longer live in and haven't done for 2 and a half years.

I agree it sucks

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2009, 06:44 PM   #5
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
I'm fairly sure you can have CSA take the mortgage payment into account as you are providing accomodation they will then deduct that amount from your support payments

I have checked that out and they wont....I have no issue with paying it, in fact I have more of an issue with parents diverting money into scehmes to minimise their income to avoid paying ANY child support whatsoever...Being single and in your 40's you tend to date women in the same position as you and its frightening the number of Dad's out there paying zilch and living the rich and famous lifestyle.
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
Old 30-04-2009, 09:46 PM   #6
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
I have checked that out and they wont....I have no issue with paying it, in fact I have more of an issue with parents diverting money into scehmes to minimise their income to avoid paying ANY child support whatsoever...Being single and in your 40's you tend to date women in the same position as you and its frightening the number of Dad's out there paying zilch and living the rich and famous lifestyle.

if some are getting fried for doing the right thing . even if it may be too much. then how can others do the wrong thing and get away with it . ??
i'm intrigued.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2009, 04:49 PM   #7
superpursuit83
KITTY Crew Member

Quote:
Here here,,,

I pay out $1300.00 per month and while I never miss a payment I have never received any more than $20 bucks for my stepdaughter. But CSA don't care that I have to support her as well. While the dad buys a new house, and job hops as soon as CSA catch him.

The latest comment from CSA was if I send my wife too work and I get less money they will charge me on my CAPACITY to earn more WTF!!

I had better stop now as I get a bit riled up with this topic.

1 Year to go WOOHOOO

BAII Super Pursuit 0083

Awsome power by XTREME FORD TUNING 500rwkw New ALLOY Block

Awesome exhaust by THE EXHAUST CENTRE MIDLAND

Awesome Kenne Bell Supercharger setup by AGRO! and Bluepower Racing Developments

Now with full DOT approval and Permitted for road use
superpursuit83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2009, 06:30 PM   #8
gtfpv
GT

ohhh dear. perhaps a shared arrangement may be better. if possible . but if not , maybe go to court and try to make sure it goes to the kids in other forms like food clothes and education expenses . sorry for the pain . i hope it all pans out. my guess is to get together with people in your situation and find the good side of it . cheers .
Old 30-04-2009, 06:31 PM   #9
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

An emotive subject of which I would gladly add to with finger pointing, but I wont, lets keep it civil as there are 2 sides to a story and I have seen my fair share of kids missing out on the basics because of the selfishness of individuals while they feast.
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2009, 06:37 PM   #10
snap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminge
An emotive subject of which I would gladly add to with finger pointing, but I wont, lets keep it civil as there are 2 sides to a story and I have seen my fair share of kids missing out on the basics because of the selfishness of individuals while they feast.
Totally agree.
166.2RWKW.
CHEERS SNAP
Old 30-04-2009, 06:39 PM   #11
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Exactly from both sides.. I'v helped
an inlaw out heaps ..
It never seems to stop..
The children was our concern..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2009, 06:39 PM   #12
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Whilst i agree with child support, i do not agree with spousal support., I pay nearly 2G p/month, now can you honestly see it costing $500 p/week to feed/clothe a kid??
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2009, 06:44 PM   #13
snap

I would like to know how many parents are paying for a child they have never seen as I am. 10 years old and does not even know who I am. I was hit with child support 3 months ago and it is amazing how I have no rights. Have spent 5000 on solicitor ,800 on a DNA test and still waiting. Freaks me out.
166.2RWKW.
CHEERS SNAP
Old 30-04-2009, 08:02 PM   #14
BIGJB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I could write a 15 page essay on how much csa suck.
But what erks me more is the fact it is % based.
If I chose to work a labouring job and earn say 600 a week
I pay only a few hundred a month. Yet if I work in my usual field
and earn say 1300 a week all of a sudden my kids must develop
a crack habit that I am expected to fund.
Needs to be a set amount per child not this percentage crap.
What pevs me even more now though is that I have moved outside of
ozzy as I wasn't seein the kids anymore anyway. (NOT MY CHOICE)
They are now doing me on potential to earn. Even though over here
I could never earn what I was in Ozzy, but as I earned that amount for many
years well I can do it now. The dogs. GGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
BIGJB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2009, 01:55 AM   #15
IDT
Marko

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99GHIA
I could write a 15 page essay on how much csa suck.
But what erks me more is the fact it is % based.
So true, Some time ago I was watching that show with the woman speaking to the audience about current issues (on ABC I think), and one bloke said what I thought was extremely fair before he was cut short and ignored for the rest of the show.

Child support should be based on the average of both wages to a maximum percentage. The custodial parent gets an initial payment and to get subsequent payments only recieves replacement funds for itemised receipts of spending. Shared items such as groceries, elecricity etc are pro rata ( two kids in a house of five and its 40% of the bill). What is left of the CSA deduction goes back to the parent paying child support.

I would also add:To ensure the health of the children fast food and electronic games etc get placed on a list of non claimable items. Excessive bills "such as $20,000 school fees, trip to Italy for educational purposes" must have prior approval of both parents or the CSA review each parents arguement and makes a decision. As most families these days have both parents working, once children are of school age, parents who do not work are forced into work for the dole type activities for up to 25 hours a week to motivate them not to take advantage of the system. Finally, when the custodial parent has another adult living with them, that persons income is considered in some way.
Old 30-04-2009, 08:03 PM   #16
Tribal
OCD keeps me busy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by snap
I've been meeting my full responsibilities for over 11 years without fault and despite this, I still get treated like the bad guy every-time I am on the phone to these clowns.

The formula they use in simply screwed up and is designed to keep you down.

Firstly, they calculate everything on your pre-tax wage and then take it from your after tax wage - WTF?!
Secondly, they don't (won't) include my wife as a dependent even though my two boys that live with me are only 4 & 8.
Thirdly, the self support allowance is only 18K - this barely covers the mortgage!

I have been through change of assessment a couple of times, won the case on one occasion - which was presided over by a senior case officer, and 6 months later it was overturned by another case officer and then I was forced to pay back-pay for those 6 months...

As mentioned before, fully agree that everyone should meet their responsibilities when it comes to the kids but the absolute morons that create the rules should be put in our shoes for a while...

No wonder the ute is taking so f'n long to finish :
Tribal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2009, 09:54 PM   #17
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Not having had to deal first hand with this, but being involved as a child/teenager, let's just say my mum and dad agreed on a set amount per month. My dad continued to pay that amount, even though my sister and I had turned 18. My sister wanted a car so mum told dad to use the child support rather than pay it directly to her.

Basically I am saying maybe an agreement between you both would work. Let's just say because mum and dad made an agreement he was paying 1/3 less than he had to. My mum's jaw used to drop when she got the letter saying how much she was entitled to, but she wasn't greedy.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2009, 10:09 PM   #18
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

I payed Child Support for many a year, my indebtedness ended last December.

The ex is a business owner with 15 employees, she only managed to earn just under $15000 last year, she brought a two story house at the sea shore late last year and put a tenant in the other place.

When I first had to deal with CSA I was treated quite badly as if I was getting my just deserts, in the last few years there has been a turn around, in my experience, in my dealings with CSA.

My annual debt to CSA was in excess of 40% of my after Tax income & this has left me destitute for the last 10 years. How ever I expect that in about 10 years the 'Milky Bar Kid' will keep me in an accustomed manner...... as I while away the years.... Yes, she can lay claim to up to 80% of your Super.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2009, 10:12 PM   #19
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnedout
I payed Child Support for many a year, my indebtedness ended last December.

The ex is a business owner with 15 employees, she only managed to earn just under $15000 last year, she brought a two story house at the sea shore late last year and put a tenant in the other place.

When I first had to deal with CSA I was treated quite badly as if I was getting my just deserts, in the last few years there has been a turn around, in my experience, in my dealings with CSA.

My annual debt to CSA was in excess of 40% of my after Tax income & this has left me destitute for the last 10 years. How ever I expect that in about 10 years the 'Milky Bar Kid' will keep me in an accustomed manner...... as I while away the years.... Yes, she can lay claim to up to 80% of your Super.

that is horrible . how can any parent let thier son get married .
Old 30-04-2009, 10:21 PM   #20
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
that is horrible . how can any parent let thier son get married .
I have advised my two kids now 20 & 18 never to get married without a pre-nuptial agreement.

I never mention their mother to either of them, as I was busy keeping up my relationship with the kids. I had 8 hours access to my kids and made the most of these moments; there was a time when the Family Court was negative to men in a rather severe way at times.

I have not spoken to their mother in ten or eleven years.

Men do need to be careful - women get together over these things quite often at the school yard gate, you know. There is a huge amount of free legal advice concerning family law available at the school yard gate.

Regrettably, I was ambushed in this manner and never stood a chance; (a mutual female friend told me later).

RTV Power
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Old 30-04-2009, 11:02 PM   #21
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I have advised my two kids now 20 & 18 never to get married without a pre-nuptial agreement.
thats so American. pre nups are not worth the paper they are written on in Australia. people here sign them but they have no legal standing in Australia

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2009, 10:26 AM   #22
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I never mention their mother to either of them, as I was busy keeping up my relationship with the kids. I had 8 hours access to my kids and made the most of these moments; there was a time when the Family Court was negative to men in a rather severe way at times.

I have not spoken to their mother in ten or eleven years.

Men do need to be careful - women get together over these things quite often at the school yard gate, you know. There is a huge amount of free legal advice concerning family law available at the school yard gate.

Regrettably, I was ambushed in this manner and never stood a chance; (a mutual female friend told me later).
When the courts look at division of assets they initially assume a 50/50 split. This is then adjusted by looking at other factors including (1) the contributions that both parties made to the marriage, not just a financial contribution. (2) what each party went into the marriage with, although this becomes less relevant the longer the marriage lasts , and (3) who will have main custody of any children from the relationship.

Typically the end result will be a 35/65 split in favour of the mother. (Typical being a situation where it's the mother who has custody of the kids and has worked part time most of her married life)

"contributions" isn't confined to "financial contributions" it extends beyond that. For example a mother not working is deemed to have contributed as a "home maker'....so just because she did not contribute to the purchase price of the house is irrelevant

Assets for the purpose of determining the financial split means anything of value (including - from 2002 - balances in superannuation accounts) irrespective of when it was purchased and is based on current value , not purchase price. The GTHO Phase 3 you've had in your shed since you were aged 21 in1980 - ten years before you met this girl still gets included.

A judge may look at a pre nup agreement to disseminate what was owned before the marriage and set that aside to the original owner, but I doubt it would have any imopact on assets accumulated DURING the marriage.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:00 AM   #23
CPOCSM

Quote:

Yes, she can lay claim to up to 80% of your Super.
I would love to see the documents you saw that led you to think she can claim 80 percent...I went through the family law court to dispute a claim by my Ex on 100(!!) percent of my super and the magistrate basically told her to go forth and procreate. They cannot do it unless the other party is not toeing the line or has incurred a debt.

I am with you - it isnt fair - but we have to suck on it - if you think you are hard dome by, YOU need to call them and sort it - they wont follow you up unless you stop paying then they jump all over you.
CPOCSM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2009, 10:21 PM   #24
GT0336
GT Pilot

I can't believe you guys are paying that much, my fiancé receives a measly $26.00 a fortnight for 2 children from her ex. It’s a joke.
LOWERED WITH BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS SPRINGS, CUSTOM QUAD EXHAUST, PACEMAKER HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, CAI, 80MM THROTTLE BODY, SHAKER, FACTORY SAT NAV, REVERSE CAMERA, CUSTOM ALPINE/DLS SOUND SYSTEM. CUSTOM GT-P LEATHER SEATS BY LEATHER-FX.
TUNED BY SPIRO AT AUTOTECH - 287.9 RWKW
Build Thread

2009 SY FPV F6X

2017 Mustang GT
GT0336 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2009, 10:24 PM   #25
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT0336
I can't believe you guys are paying that much, my fiancé receives a measly $26.00 a fortnight for 2 children from her ex. It’s a joke.

Mate I would suggest she is a victim of my situation in reverse - a contractor/self employed bloke can spend a lot of time 'minimising income', your girlfriend has my sympathies.

RTV Power
Old 30-04-2009, 10:43 PM   #26
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my grandkids are entitled to $28 a fortnight total, as he did not put a tax return in for 3 years, then when CSA fools chased him up about tax return he went on the dole and now pays nothing due to having the kids each second weekend
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2009, 11:32 PM   #27
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDFORDNUT
my grandkids are entitled to $28 a fortnight total, as he did not put a tax return in for 3 years, then when CSA fools chased him up about tax return he went on the dole and now pays nothing due to having the kids each second weekend
You also have my sympathies - I always paid the amount required by law & I will never deprive my kids.

In this case "Blessed be the man who lays down his car/mods/hobbies/life for his kids where ever they may be".

My kids have always deserved the best I could give them. That has always been my tenant as a parent. It's that simple really.

The Govt fails these kids in so many ways by allowing these selfish parents to get away with the things they do...... Same as the contractor/self employed person who deliberately minimises income to avoid their responsibilities to their children.

Simply unforgivable.

RTV Power
Old 30-04-2009, 11:32 PM   #28
Scott

I'm not in this boat and hope never to be but I have always been shocked at what fathers are put through. My industry has an incredibly high divorce rate and I seem to talk with a disproportionate amount of divorced blokes and some of the stories just make your hands clench with rage.

Kids need to remain the #1 priority and they should be aptly cared for but Dads need care too. It is not reasonable to take a mans wife, children, dignity, home and income from him and then be suprised that he kills himself with grog, drugs or a rope - let alone bring harm to those that screwed him so badly.

Divorce is an awful thing that everyone involved suffers from - not just the woman and kids.

I'm probably preaching to the choir here but it just gets me wild with rage.

On a more positive note, a good mate of mine divorced his wife and moved out of his home and day-to-day kids lives. They sold the home, he took half the proceeds - even though it was his before they met, and he started an investment portfolio.

The funds were always there in their entirety and he was able to pay the costs they agreed upon out of his returns and a small weekly split from his wages - think $100 or so. He covered something along the lines of $X per month toward keeping a roof over the kids head and any cost directly associated with the kids. Things like all schooling, all clothes, all school trips and pocket money etc.

He was happy that he wasn't being screwed and could afford to enjoy a relatively free financial life and was even more happy that his kids knew Daddy bought me this and that - not that he was a scumbag who didn't pay for anything.

At the end of the time, his quite amiable ex-wife had maintained her lifestyle [supplemented by] hooking up with a new bloke, he had maintained his lifestyle and his kids got all they required and had a substantial safety net under them if needed.

He recently stopped paying the bills because the kids hit 18 and threw the money on to his mortgage and has come out pretty bloody well all things considered.

Reason for telling this story is simply to highlight that there is smarter ways to do things than simply raping a bloke and destroying his life. I truly hope that some innovation gets plied to the CSA in the near future and they look at smarter ways to achieve the best for the whole family.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2009, 12:11 AM   #29
smally289
growing up is optional

Yes CSA sucks!

I have had custody of my 3 boys for the past 8 years and have seen very little in the way of money from their mother. She has had good jobs, flash cars, holidays etc etc and I she still owes several thousand dollars in arrears payments. In the last 12 months I have recieved $40 in total from the CSA. They are hopeless! I bet if the shoe was on the other foot, I'd be strung up by the gonads.

Just my 2c worth ..........
smally289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2009, 10:36 AM   #30
El Venom
normality is boring
Donating Member1

i get treated like a dead beat dad when i call csa even though I have my kids full time. there mum works but only pays $26 a month. Tell me what $26 is gonna get 3 yr old twins these days, nothing the system is all up

Factory v8 with turbonetics 67mm turbo, haltech ecu, aeromotive and raceworks fuel system, cobra intake and a few custom bits thrown in
El Venom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post